Hausknecht, David (19th century)
David Hausknecht, a Mennonite teacher in Russia, born in Switzerland, who came to Russia during the great immigration near the turn of the century and conducted a private boys' school at Einlage on the Dnieper in the 1830s. Since there were few Russian schools in this region, many Russian nobles and merchants entrusted the education of their sons to Hausknecht. His principles of instruction and education were suggestive of Pestalozzi's ideas. He even used pictorial illustrations and other auxiliary material.
Hausknecht was a serious student of nature, and with his students wandered through the interesting vicinity of the school to make botanical, zoological, and mineralogical studies. Even astronomy was not foreign to him. He lived entirely for and with his pupils, and as an excellent teacher held their interest in education. He was the first teacher of a secondary school in the Chortitza region. After his death Heinrich Heese continued the school. His son, D. Hausknecht, was the first teacher of the Bruderschule at Gnadenfeld.
Friesen, Peter M. Die Alt-Evangelische Mennonitische Brüderschaft in Russland (1789-1910) im Rahmen der mennonitischen Gesamtgeschichte. Halbstadt: Verlagsgesellschaft "Raduga", 1911.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. II: 267.
Neufeld, A. Die Choritzer Zentralschule. Berdyansk, 1893.
|Author(s)||David H Epp|
Cite This Article
Epp, David H. "Hausknecht, David (19th century)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 20 Oct 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hausknecht,_David_(19th_century)&oldid=146471.
Epp, David H. (1956). Hausknecht, David (19th century). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 October 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hausknecht,_David_(19th_century)&oldid=146471.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 681. All rights reserved.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.