Hellertown, a village (borough) in Lower Saucon Township, Northampton County, Pennsylvania, not far from Bethlehem. Near the village but now within the city limits of Bethlehem stands a building which was once a school and church building, shared by the Mennonites and the Baptists as a place of worship. Apparently services were conducted here beginning sometime before 1800, although interments were made in the adjoining cemetery as early as 1769 or before. A building was erected in 1802, burned and rebuilt in 1854, and rebuilt again in 1891. Nothing is known of an organized Mennonite congregation in the area, but the 1790 U.S. census lists such Mennonite names in, Lower Saucon Township as Bachman, Baer, Boyer, Derr, Geissinger, Gross, Heebner, Landis, Snyder, and Weaver. The building, now known as the Limekiln Schoolhouse, has been converted into a private dwelling.
|Author(s)||John C Wenger|
 Cite This Article
Wenger, John C. "Hellertown (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 25 Sep 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hellertown_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=81861.
Wenger, John C. (1956). Hellertown (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 September 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hellertown_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=81861.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.