Hiebert, a Prussian Mennonite name first recorded in the Danzig church record in 1679, was found in the congregations of Tiegenhagen, Ladekopp, Rosenort, Heubuden, and Königsberg. From Prussia the name was transplanted to Russia.
From Russia the name was transplanted to North America, where the following have been prominent in the work of the Mennonite Brethren Church: John K. Hiebert (1865-1933), Hillsboro, Kansas, pastor at Ebenfeld MB Church; N. N. Hiebert (1874-1957), pastor at Blaine, Washington; P.C. Hiebert (1870-1963), Hillsboro, president of Tabor College and long-serving chairman of the Mennonite Central Committee (1920-1953); C. N. Hiebert (1881-1975), an evangelist from Hillsboro; G. B. Huebert (1887-1970), Reedley, California, pastor; P. N. Hiebert (b. 1890), Bakersfield, California, pastor; J. N. C. Hiebert (1904-1956), missionary to India; G. D. Huebert (1906-1981), pastor and Bible teacher in Hepburn, Saskatchewan; D. Edmond Hiebert (1910-1995), teacher in the MB Biblical Seminary, Fresno, California; Waldo Hiebert, Hillsboro, pastor and teacher in the MB Biblical Seminary; Lando Hiebert, minister and teacher at Tabor College, Hillsboro; and Paul G. Hiebert (1932-2007), missiologist. The majority of Hieberts in North America have belonged to the MB Church. In 1955 the only Hiebert serving as a minister in any other Mennonite body was J. N. Hiebert, an Evangelical Mennonite Brethren pastor at Dalmeny, Saskatchewan.
Reimer, Gustav E. Die Familiennamen der Westpreussischen Mennoniten. Weierhof, 1940.
Cite This Article
Krahn, Cornelius. "Hiebert (Huebert, Hubert, Hübert) family." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 27 Nov 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hiebert_(Huebert,_Hubert,_H%C3%BCbert)_family&oldid=101890.
Krahn, Cornelius. (1956). Hiebert (Huebert, Hubert, Hübert) family. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 November 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hiebert_(Huebert,_Hubert,_H%C3%BCbert)_family&oldid=101890.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.