Alberta Mennonite Brethren Missions started a city mission in Calgary in the 1950s. From this emerged the Calgary Mennonite Brethren Church in 1956 with 41 charter members. Jacob A. Froese is considered the founding leader of the group. They met in rented facilities until 1962, when they completed their own sanctuary. Later an educational wing was added. In 1980 the membership stood at 311. In 1983 they divided the congregation to form the Dalhousie Mennonite Brethren Church.
Mennonite Brethren Herald (27 May 1988): 6; (21 February 1992): 13; (December 2008); (February 2012): 29.
Mennonite Observer (25 May 1956): 3.
Penner, Peter. No Longer at Arm's Length: Mennonite Brethren Church Planting in Canada. Winnipeg, MB: Kindred Press, 1987, 178 pp.
Toews, John A. A History of the Mennonite Brethren Church: Pilgrims and Pioneers. Fresno, CA, 1975: 166.
Archival RecordsCentre for Mennonite Brethren Studies, Winnipeg, MB: Volume 328.
Address: 4018 Centre B Street NW, Calgary AB T2K 0W2
Website: Highland MB Church
Alberta Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches (1956-present)
Canadian Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches (1956-present)
General Conference of Mennonite Brethren Churches (1956-present)
Highland MB Church Leading Ministers
|Abram H. Rempel||1956-1958|
|A. L. Klassen||1967-1973|
|Ken Dueck (interim)||2011-present|
Highland MB Church Membership
|Date Published||March 2012|
Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene. "Highland Mennonite Brethren Church (Calgary, Alberta, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. March 2012. Web. 18 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Highland_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Calgary,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=56960.
Epp, Marlene. (March 2012). Highland Mennonite Brethren Church (Calgary, Alberta, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Highland_Mennonite_Brethren_Church_(Calgary,_Alberta,_Canada)&oldid=56960.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.