Hillsboro Preparatory School (Vorbereitungsschule), Kansas (1897-1936), was founded as a private school by H. D. Penner in 1897 with a two-year curriculum to prepare students for elementary teaching and college. In 1913 an association was organized, sponsored by the First Mennonite Church, Johannesthal Mennonite Church, and Bruderthal Mennonite Church of Hillsboro, which made itself responsible for the school. Occasionally members from other communities were represented on the board. J. H. Epp served as principal 1913-1927. Other teachers were C. J. Epp, H. C. Voth, Gustav Frey, L. H. Linscheid, J. P. Suderman, W. F. Unruh, and Abraham Albrecht.
In 1927 the name on the catalog was given as Bible Academy, although the contents remained unchanged. The two-year course was designed to give a basis in Bible study, German language and literature, church and Mennonite history and related subjects. Gradually more English was introduced. By 1936 the interest in the parochial school had declined and most parents sent their children to the local high school. The school was closed during that year.
Catalogs of Hillsboro Preparatory School, 1897-1935.
Peters, Henry P. History and development of education among the Mennonites in Kansas: a thesis ... Hillsboro, Kan.: [H.P. Peters], 1925: 150 ff.
Cite This Article
Krahn, Cornelius. "Hillsboro Preparatory School (Hillsboro, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 28 Jan 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hillsboro_Preparatory_School_(Hillsboro,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=65254.
Krahn, Cornelius. (1956). Hillsboro Preparatory School (Hillsboro, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 January 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hillsboro_Preparatory_School_(Hillsboro,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=65254.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.