Homewood Mennonite Church (Carman, Manitoba, Canada)
Carman, MB SE 25 7 4w. Located 10 km north of Homewood on the 305. In 1965 there were 65 members; in 1975, 103; in 1985, 73; in 1995, 52. The congregation had been affiliated with the Conference of Mennonites in Manitoba, Conference of Mennonites in Canada and General Conference Mennonite Church (1968). The language of worship is English; the transition from German occurred in the 1960s.
The congregation began services in 1938, and formally organized in 1954. The first building was occupied in 1943, with subsequent building in 1961. David D. Klassen is considered the founding leader of the group. The congregation originated through colonization from southern Manitoba. The congregation was organized as an independent Bergthaler church in 1954.
Other pastors that served the congregation included Peter Giesbrecht (1947-1974), Peter Buhler, Ed Cornelson, Henry Isaak, Egon Enns, Abe Hiebert, Peter Penner, Ed Enns and Martin Sawatzky.
The congregation closed its door on 7 November 1999 because of the decline in the population base in the rural area. The building was sole to a Mennonite Brethren congregation, and was to be moved to Vita, Manitoba.
Mennonite Reporter (14 June 1993): 8-9.
Canadian Mennonite 3 (6 December 1999): 28.
Gerbrandt, H. J. Adventure in Faith. Altona, MB: Bergthaler Mennonite Church of Manitoba, 1970, 379 pp.
See Bergthaler Church collection and D. D. Klassen collection at Mennonite Heritage Centre.
|Date Published||January 1989|
Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene. "Homewood Mennonite Church (Carman, Manitoba, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 1989. Web. 23 Oct 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Homewood_Mennonite_Church_(Carman,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=88091.
Epp, Marlene. (January 1989). Homewood Mennonite Church (Carman, Manitoba, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 October 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Homewood_Mennonite_Church_(Carman,_Manitoba,_Canada)&oldid=88091.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.