Hulka (Holka, now Velká) is a town in Moravia, two miles east of Strassnitz with a population of about 2,000 in 1954, of whom about 300 belonged to the Reformed Church. The Anabaptists owned a renowned mill there. The market belonged to Strassnitz, and thus to the famous Moravian noble family of Zierotin. The records do not state when the Anabaptists came to Velká. The Geschicht-Buch merely remarks (p. 441), "We lived there many years." In 1595 they were compelled by Arkleb von Kunowitz for selfish reasons to move out. They suffered great losses, but the withdrawal cannot have lasted long, for by 1610 they were again in Velká, in the complete possession of the grace of Johann Friedrich of Zierotin, who was a special benefactor of the Hutterites.
Beck, Josef. Die Geschichts-Bücher der Wiedertäufer in Oesterreich-Ungarn. Vienna, 1883; reprinted Nieuwkoop: De Graaf, 1967.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. II, 365.
Wolkan, Rudolf. Geschicht-Buch der Hutterischen Brüder. Macleod, AB , and Vienna, 1923.
Cite This Article
Loserth, Johann. "Hulka (Jihomoravském kraji, Czech Republic)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 28 Feb 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hulka_(Jihomoravsk%C3%A9m_kraji,_Czech_Republic)&oldid=95351.
Loserth, Johann. (1956). Hulka (Jihomoravském kraji, Czech Republic). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 February 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Hulka_(Jihomoravsk%C3%A9m_kraji,_Czech_Republic)&oldid=95351.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.