From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Huntington Mennonite Church, Newport News, Virginia, 2012.
Photo by Elwood Yoder; used with permission.
Source: Mennonite Archives of Virginia
.

Huntington Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church) (formerly the Newport News Mennonite Mission and then the Huntington Avenue Mennonite Church), located in Newport News, Virginia, was begun in 1928 by the Warwick River Mennonite congregation. In 1936 the mission was turned over to the Virginia Board of Missions and Charities, and a year later a brick meetinghouse was built. In 1951 the mission was organized as an independent congregation under the Virginia Conference (MC).

In 1955 Andrew M. Hartzler was the minister and the membership was 31. In 2014 the ministers were David E. Mishler and Jim Thornton and the membership was 120.

[edit] Additional Information

Address: 785 Harpersville Road, Newport News, VA 23601-1635

Phone: 757-595-6889

Website: Huntington Mennonite Church

Denominational Affiliation:


Author(s) C. Norman Krause
Date Published April 2014


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Krause, C. Norman. "Huntington Mennonite Church (Newport News, Virginia, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 2014. Web. 6 Jul 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Huntington_Mennonite_Church_(Newport_News,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=117434.

APA style

Krause, C. Norman. (April 2014). Huntington Mennonite Church (Newport News, Virginia, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 6 July 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Huntington_Mennonite_Church_(Newport_News,_Virginia,_USA)&oldid=117434.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 2, p. 845. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.