Huyberts, Claes (17th century)
Claes Huyberts was a deacon of the "Blauwe Schuur" (Blue Barn) congregation (United Flemish and High German Mennonites) at Harlingen, Dutch province of Friesland. He served in the second half of the 17th century and promoted the union of 1672 between his congregation and the Waterlander congregation of Harlingen. In 1666 he negotiated with the Frisian government in the name of all the Mennonites of the different branches concerning a loan of 500,000 guilders to be made by the Mennonites of Friesland to equip warships. With much trouble this compulsory loan was raised by the Mennonites, each of them having to pay about a hundred guilders. A letter written by Claes Huyberts in 1666 concerning this loan, which enumerates several Mennonite branches in Friesland and their membership figures, is found in the [[Amsterdam Mennonite Library (Bibliotheek en Archief van de Vereenigde Doopsgezinde Gemeente te Amsterdam)|Amsterdam Mennonite Library]]. A second loan for the same purpose was contracted in 1672 and again Claes Huyberts was middleman between the government and the Mennonites of Friesland. The son of Claes Huyberts and his descendants assumed the family name of Braam.
Catalogus der werken over de Doopsgezinden en hunne geschiedenis aanwezig in de bibliotheek der Vereenigde Doopsgezinde Gemeente to Amsterdam. Amsterdam: J.H. de Bussy, 1919: 348.
Cate, Steven Blaupot ten. Geschiedenis der Doopsgezinden in Friesland. Leeuwarden: W. Eekhoff, 1839: 163, 176 f., 311.
Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1877): 125-127.
|Author(s)||Nanne van der Zijpp|
Cite This Article
Zijpp, Nanne van der. "Huyberts, Claes (17th century)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1956. Web. 26 Sep 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Huyberts,_Claes_(17th_century)&oldid=118353.
Zijpp, Nanne van der. (1956). Huyberts, Claes (17th century). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 September 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Huyberts,_Claes_(17th_century)&oldid=118353.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.