Immanuel Schools (formerly Immanuel Academy) at 1128 South Reed Avenue, Reedley, California, opened as the Reedley Bible School on 17 October 1927 with two teachers and 31 students. It met until 1932 in a small building on the grounds of the Reedley Mennonite Brethren Church. It was continued until 1937 by the Dinuba Mennonite Brethren Church in the building later known as the Reedley hospital. In 1937-1941 the Bible school met in the kitchen of the Dinuba Mennonite Brethren Church in Dinuba. Then the Reedley M.B. Church reopened its Bible school on its own church grounds and operated it parallel to the Dinuba Bible School 1938-1941. In 1941 the schools were combined and named Immanuel Bible School. In 1944 the four-year academy program was started and the name changed to Immanuel Academy. The first four-year class was graduated in 1946. In 1946 the school was moved to the present location in its new building. The early academy principals were J. N. C. Hiebert, August 1943-January 1947; H. R. Wiens, January 1947-July 1950; and Arthur J. Wiebe, July 1950- . The enrollment in the 1950s averaged 200. The school was sponsored by the Reedley and Dinuba Mennonite Brethren churches and the Zion K.M.B. Church in Reedley, which shared the cost on a per capita basis. The Fresno Mennonite Brethren Church also participated on a partial basis.
Immanuel Academy in the 1950s was a first-class accredited high school with a faculty of 12 teachers and five buildings, of which a chapel seating 300 was constructed. The campus is located on the banks of the Kings River in Reedley. The annual budget was $55,000 in the 1950s, half of which was raised by tuition.
Immanuel Academy became a fully accredited secondary school in 1969. In 1973 the Board changed the name to Immanuel High School. In 1991, Immanuel Junior High School opened with grades 7-8. The Junior High campus is located on the northeast end of the Immanuel campus. Then in 1994, it was adopted by the Immanuel High School Board to change the schools' names to Immanuel Schools, to include both junior and senior high school. The Immanuel Elementary School is located on a separate Windsor campus.
In 2007 Immanuel Schools was a nonprofit corporation sponsored by the Mennonite Brethren Churches in the San Joaquin Valley.
Immanuel Schools. "About Immanuel Schools." Accessed 21 September 2007 <http://www.ihseagles.net/district/about/about.php>
Immanuel Schools website
|Author(s)||Arthur J Wiebe|
Cite This Article
Wiebe, Arthur J. "Immanuel Schools (Reedley, California, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1958. Web. 29 Mar 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Immanuel_Schools_(Reedley,_California,_USA)&oldid=57110.
Wiebe, Arthur J. (1958). Immanuel Schools (Reedley, California, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 March 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Immanuel_Schools_(Reedley,_California,_USA)&oldid=57110.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.