Indiana Conference of the United Missionary Church

From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:49, 20 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (talk | contribs) (CSV import - 20130820)

Jump to: navigation, search

The Indiana Conference of the United Missionary Church (later Missionary Church) had its origins in the "Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio Evangelical United Mennonite Conference." The date of its organization is not clear but it met in its "sixth annual conference" in Elkhart County, Indiana, in September 1880. After the Evangelical United Mennonites became the Mennonite Brethren in Christ in 1883, the first annual "Conference of the Mennonite Brethren in Christ of Indiana, Ohio, Michigan and the West" held its session in Miami County, Ohio, in March 1884. After Ohio became a separate conference in 1942 the Indiana Conference was confined to one state. The conference met annually during the last week of June on its campgrounds 7.5 miles (12 km) south of Elkhart. Its committees were executive, youth, budget, camp meetings, foreign missions, peace, and reading course examiners. In 1955 its 37 congregations had 2,507 members. The district superintendent was Kenneth Geiger and the secretary Gordon Bacon.


Author(s) Melvin Gingerich
Date Published 1958


Cite This Article

MLA style

Gingerich, Melvin. "Indiana Conference of the United Missionary Church." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1958. Web. 21 Oct 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Indiana_Conference_of_the_United_Missionary_Church&oldid=88208.

APA style

Gingerich, Melvin. (1958). Indiana Conference of the United Missionary Church. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 October 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Indiana_Conference_of_the_United_Missionary_Church&oldid=88208.




Hpbuttns.gif

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 29. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.