From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
(CSV import - 20130820)
Line 2: Line 2:
  
 
The mission continued at Vine Street with sporadic interruption until 1974. From 1974 to 2000 it was located at 343 North Charlotte Street. It then moved to a converted brick warehouse in northwest Lancaster on James Street. The 2007 membership was 196; Stan Shantz served as the leading pastor.
 
The mission continued at Vine Street with sporadic interruption until 1974. From 1974 to 2000 it was located at 343 North Charlotte Street. It then moved to a converted brick warehouse in northwest Lancaster on James Street. The 2007 membership was 196; Stan Shantz served as the leading pastor.
 
 
 
= Bibliography =
 
= Bibliography =
 
James Street Mennonite Church. "JMSC today."  2008.  Accessed 9 February 2008. <[http://www.jsmchurch.org/DesktopDefault.aspx http://www.jsmchurch.org/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=1&tabid=13]>
 
James Street Mennonite Church. "JMSC today."  2008.  Accessed 9 February 2008. <[http://www.jsmchurch.org/DesktopDefault.aspx http://www.jsmchurch.org/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=1&tabid=13]>
 
 
 
= Additional Information =
 
= Additional Information =
 
Address:
 
Address:
Line 28: Line 24:
  
 
[http://www.jsmchurch.org/ James Street Mennonite Church]
 
[http://www.jsmchurch.org/ James Street Mennonite Church]
 
 
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 3, p. 279|date=February 2008|a1_last=Landis|a1_first=Ira D.|a2_last=Steiner|a2_first=Sam}}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 3, p. 279|date=February 2008|a1_last=Landis|a1_first=Ira D.|a2_last=Steiner|a2_first=Sam}}

Revision as of 19:20, 20 August 2013

The James Street Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA)(initially Lancaster Mennonite Mission (Mennonite Church), then called the Vine Street Mission and still later the Charlotte Street Mennonite Church)  was first was opened on North Street on 4 July 1896 following the organization of the Lancaster Sunday School Mission. It later was located in a former Baptist church at 112 E. Vine Street, Lancaster, Pennsylvania. B. F. Herr and David Lantz were the first superintendents. By 1899 the mission was located at 462 Rockland Street, and by 1908 at the Vine Street address. The John Mosemanns, D. Parke Lantz, D. Stoner Krady, and others received valuable missionary experience here. For a time Weaver's Book Store and Printery was housed in the basement. The 1954 membership was 85, with Frank M. Enck as pastor.

The mission continued at Vine Street with sporadic interruption until 1974. From 1974 to 2000 it was located at 343 North Charlotte Street. It then moved to a converted brick warehouse in northwest Lancaster on James Street. The 2007 membership was 196; Stan Shantz served as the leading pastor.

Bibliography

James Street Mennonite Church. "JMSC today."  2008.  Accessed 9 February 2008. <http://www.jsmchurch.org/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabindex=1&tabid=13>

Additional Information

Address:

323 West James Street

Lancaster, PA 17603-2911

Phone:

717-397-6707

Denominational Affiliations:

Mennonite Church USA

Lancaster Mennonite Conference

Website:

James Street Mennonite Church


Author(s) Ira D. Landis
Sam Steiner
Date Published February 2008


Cite This Article

MLA style

Landis, Ira D. and Sam Steiner. "James Street Mennonite Church (Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2008. Web. 29 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=James_Street_Mennonite_Church_(Lancaster,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=82481.

APA style

Landis, Ira D. and Sam Steiner. (February 2008). James Street Mennonite Church (Lancaster, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=James_Street_Mennonite_Church_(Lancaster,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=82481.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 279. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.