From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Abraham Janson, the son of Gerhard Janson, was an outstanding Mennonite farmer, living at Harxheim, Palatinate, Germany. On 17 June 1782 he presented a vigorous petition to the University of Heidelberg for a reduction of his protection fee from 12 fl. to 6 fl. annually, threatening that he might be compelled to change his place of residence, and join his relatives at Krefeld, Neuwied, or Monsheim, "where the Mennonites are less burdened," especially since the university was also greatly benefited by his efficient farming. The petition was granted, and extended to the other Mennonite subjects of the university in the Zellertal. A formal statement by the university issued on 11 April 1785 gives him great praise and compares him to David Möllinger of Monsheim.

With his father Gerhard Janson (1702-1761), who had leased half the Geispitz estate in Harxheim, Abraham Janson laid the foundation for the prosperity of the Janson families in Harxheim, Dirmstein, and Bockenheim (Palatinate). During the French occupation he served ably as mayor of the three towns, Harxheim, Zell, and Niefernheim.

[edit] Bibliography

Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. II, 391.


Author(s) Christian Neff
Date Published 1957


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Neff, Christian. "Janson, Abraham (1754-1823)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 25 Oct 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Janson,_Abraham_(1754-1823)&oldid=95497.

APA style

Neff, Christian. (1957). Janson, Abraham (1754-1823). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 October 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Janson,_Abraham_(1754-1823)&oldid=95497.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, pp. 92-93. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.