Kalamba, a former station of the Congo Inland Mission in Africa, located on the Kasai River about 150 miles (250 km) south from Charlesville, was established in 1912 among the Baluba-Lulua people. The work at this place went forward with good results for many years, but in time factors developed which hindered the work so that in 1946 the Board granted the request from the field to terminate the work and establish a new station at a point some distance westward. The new station was named Mutena. The statistics for Mutena in 1949 were: missionaries, 8; native pastors, 2; baptisms, 86; church members, 967; awaiting baptism, 400; communities where services are conducted regularly, 106; native leaders in training, 14; rural schools, 43; rural teacher- evangelists, 45; average attendance of all schools, 1,103; native medical helpers, 4; new cases treated, 3,327.
|Author(s)||Raymond L Hartzler|
 Cite This Article
Hartzler, Raymond L. "Kalamba (Democratic Republic of the Congo)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 6 Oct 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kalamba_(Democratic_Republic_of_the_Congo)&oldid=88482.
Hartzler, Raymond L. (1957). Kalamba (Democratic Republic of the Congo). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 6 October 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kalamba_(Democratic_Republic_of_the_Congo)&oldid=88482.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.