Karassan Mennonite Church, Simferopol District, Crimea, Russia, was founded in 1862 by Mennonites from the Molotschna settlement, who established villages in the area at this time. Jacob Wiebe was the first elder (1862-1880). He was succeeded by Heinrich Unruh (1880-1883), Abr. Friesen (1884- ), G. A. Rempel, and Jakob Lötkemann, who was exiled under the Soviets. The elders were assisted by many ministers, some of whom joined the Mennonite Brethren Church of the Crimea. Originally the Ettingerbrun, later Busau Mennonite Church was a part of the Karassan church. In 1905 the Karassan church with its branches Spat, Pasha-Tchakmak, and Dyurmen had a membership of 846 and a total population of 1,928. The main place of worship was Karassan.
Friesen, Peter M. Die Alt-Evangelische Mennonitische Brüderschaft in Russland (1789-1910) im Rahmen der mennonitischen Gesamtgeschichte. Halbstadt: Verlagsgesellschaft "Raduga", 1911: 709.
Statistik der Mennonitengemeinde in Russland Ende 1905: 63.
Cite This Article
Krahn, Cornelius. "Karassan Mennonite Church (Simferopol, Crimea, Ukraine)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 25 Jan 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Karassan_Mennonite_Church_(Simferopol,_Crimea,_Ukraine)&oldid=88525.
Krahn, Cornelius. (1957). Karassan Mennonite Church (Simferopol, Crimea, Ukraine). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 January 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Karassan_Mennonite_Church_(Simferopol,_Crimea,_Ukraine)&oldid=88525.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.