Kauffmann, Mathys (17th century)
Mathys Kauffmann of Kriegstetten, Solothurn, Switzerland, was one of the Anabaptist preachers held in chains in the newly built penitentiary and orphanage in Bern, who were considered "the most important preachers and ringleaders" (see Bern). From 3 March 1659 to 10 September 1660, Kauffmann was there. Efforts of the council and the clergy to convert him were in vain. On 20 January 1660 the appointed persons "betook themselves to the Anabaptist business" in the penitentiary to give the Anabaptists an examination. On 16 points the prisoners had to give an account, covering doctrine, communion, baptism, and attitude to government. All remained true to their convictions. Kauffmann had been seized at Koppingen in the canton of Bern, at his daughter's home. Now he besought the council to release him because he wanted to go to Solothurn. According to a decision of the council of 15 June 1660, the prisoners were to be banished. On 27 August they were again cross-examined, but they still "persisted in their opinion, no matter what one tried with them." Kauffmann was then taken to the border via Brügg with the others on 10 September 1660 and banished.
Fluri, A. Beitrdge zur Geschichte der bemischen Taufer II: Das Waisenhaus als Täufergefangnis. Bern, 1912.
Geiser, Samuel. Die Taufgesinnten-Gemeinden. Karlsruhe,1931: 398 ff.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon., 4 v. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: v. II, 475.
Cite This Article
Geiser, Samuel. "Kauffmann, Mathys (17th century)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 21 Oct 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kauffmann,_Mathys_(17th_century)&oldid=57483.
Geiser, Samuel. (1957). Kauffmann, Mathys (17th century). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 October 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kauffmann,_Mathys_(17th_century)&oldid=57483.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 157. All rights reserved.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.