The Kempsville Amish Mennonite Church (Beachy Amish) is located a half mile (1 km) northeast of Kempsville, Virginia, in the southeastern part of the state. An Old Order Amish community had been established here near the beginning of the present century by settlers, many of whom came from Somerset County, Pennsylvania. In 1940 some of the later arrivals in the community led a movement to allow ownership of automobiles by members of the congregation. This produced a schism and the formation of the Kempsville church. After this event, most of the Old Order who did not join the progressive group moved out of the community. In 1955 the congregation had 150 members, with Jacob J. Hershberger and Ezra N. Troyer serving as ministers and Paul Brenneman as bishop. The congregation operated a parochial school, fully organized in 1946. A Conservative Mennonite church was organized here in 1952, with Simon Coblentz as bishop. Some 15 families left the community in 1953 to found a new congregation at Montezuma, GA.
Beachy, Alvin J. "The Rise and Development of the Beachy Amish Mennonite Churches," Mennonite Quarterly Review 29 (April 1955): 118 ff.
Cite This Article
Gingerich, Melvin. "Kempsville Amish Mennonite Church (Kempsville, Virginia)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 12 Mar 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kempsville_Amish_Mennonite_Church_(Kempsville,_Virginia)&oldid=88606.
Gingerich, Melvin. (1957). Kempsville Amish Mennonite Church (Kempsville, Virginia). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 12 March 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kempsville_Amish_Mennonite_Church_(Kempsville,_Virginia)&oldid=88606.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.