Kent County Delaware. U.S. Census Bureau Map
Kent County, Delaware
is an Old Order Amish
Mennonite settlement, which in 1957 consisted of four districts having about 250 members, located west of Dover. Amish families from various states moved to Kent County. The first to come were the families of Bishop David Y. Miller and Jacob K. Miller in 1915. Others came from Geauga County, Ohio, Oscoda County, Michigan
, Lancaster County
, Somerset County, Pennsylvania, and Ford County, Kansas. The original settlement was divided into two districts in 1928, and the west district of the original settlement was divided in 1933. In 1946 several Byler families with others consisting of about 18 families moved to Catlett, Faquier County, Virginia
. In 1947 a more progressive congregation was organized under the leadership of Bishop Seth Byler of Stark County, Ohio. In 1956 the bishops were John D. Hochstetler, D. Leroy Nissley, Eli S. Miller, and Simon W. Byler.
|| John A Hostetler
| Date Published
 Cite This Article
Hostetler, John A. "Kent County (DE)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 3 May 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kent_County_(DE)&oldid=92265.
Hostetler, John A. (1957). Kent County (DE). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 3 May 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Kent_County_(DE)&oldid=92265.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 3, p. 166. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.