The Korba Mission Station, one of the five main stations of the General Conference Mennonite Mission in India, was located 25 miles (40 km) north of Champa, Madhya Pradesh (formerly Central Provinces), India. It was opened by C. H. Suckau in 1915. The area of the Korba field covered 2,200 square miles, with a population of 230,000 in the 1950s, and over 1,000 villages. There were four outstations. The first church was organized on 1 December 1915; and the first meetinghouse was dedicated in February 1920. The church did not grow very rapidly. Some of its first members reverted to Hinduism. The membership in 1954 was 146, but there were prospects of many children of Christian families being gathered in. The church was served by an Indian pastor, J. R. Singh, for about 15 years, and was in 1955 served by the Indian pastor, Malachi Chawbey.
The station had no institutional work except a primary school and a dispensary. District evangelism was emphasized. The most encouraging feature of this work was the increasing interest in literature, a large amount of which, including Bibles, Testaments, Bible portions, tracts, and handbills, were sold and distributed each year.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: v. II, 548.
|Author(s)||P. W Penner|
Cite This Article
Penner, P. W. "Korba Mission Station (Madhya Pradesh, India)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 12 Mar 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Korba_Mission_Station_(Madhya_Pradesh,_India)&oldid=82881.
Penner, P. W. (1957). Korba Mission Station (Madhya Pradesh, India). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 12 March 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Korba_Mission_Station_(Madhya_Pradesh,_India)&oldid=82881.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.