From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][unchecked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
(CSV import - 20130820)
Line 1: Line 1:
 
Krommeniedijk, a hamlet in the Dutch province of [[North Holland (Netherlands)|North Holland]], was in the earliest times the home of numerous [[Anabaptism|Anabaptists]]. In 1534 no fewer than 69 persons of this community were accused of "Anabaptism." In that year [[Jan Walen (d. 1534)|Jan Dirks Walen]] (or Walig) and [[Cornelis Luytsz (d. 1534)|Cornelis Luytgens]] of Krommeniedijk suffered a martyr's death by burning at The Hague. A congregation was organized here early, belonging to the [[Waterlanders|Waterlander]] branch, but it always remained small and soon joined the neighboring church at [[Knollendam (Noord-Holland, Netherlands)|Knollendam]] in supporting a minister, Simon Kalyerboer, who served 1786-1828; in 1804 the two congregations formally merged. The combined congregation had only 14 members at that time. In 1847 a new meetinghouse was built in Krommeniedijk; it acquired an organ in 1897. Services were held here by the Knollendam pastor until 1921, when the building was sold.
 
Krommeniedijk, a hamlet in the Dutch province of [[North Holland (Netherlands)|North Holland]], was in the earliest times the home of numerous [[Anabaptism|Anabaptists]]. In 1534 no fewer than 69 persons of this community were accused of "Anabaptism." In that year [[Jan Walen (d. 1534)|Jan Dirks Walen]] (or Walig) and [[Cornelis Luytsz (d. 1534)|Cornelis Luytgens]] of Krommeniedijk suffered a martyr's death by burning at The Hague. A congregation was organized here early, belonging to the [[Waterlanders|Waterlander]] branch, but it always remained small and soon joined the neighboring church at [[Knollendam (Noord-Holland, Netherlands)|Knollendam]] in supporting a minister, Simon Kalyerboer, who served 1786-1828; in 1804 the two congregations formally merged. The combined congregation had only 14 members at that time. In 1847 a new meetinghouse was built in Krommeniedijk; it acquired an organ in 1897. Services were held here by the Knollendam pastor until 1921, when the building was sold.
 
 
 
= Bibliography =
 
= Bibliography =
 
<em>Doopsgezinde Bijdragen</em> (1902): 244; (1907): 36 f., 40-42, 72-76.
 
<em>Doopsgezinde Bijdragen</em> (1902): 244; (1907): 36 f., 40-42, 72-76.
Line 14: Line 12:
  
 
<em>Naamlijst der tegenwoordig in dienst zijnde predikanten der Mennoniten in de vereenigde Nederlanden.</em> (Amsterdam, 1806): 68.
 
<em>Naamlijst der tegenwoordig in dienst zijnde predikanten der Mennoniten in de vereenigde Nederlanden.</em> (Amsterdam, 1806): 68.
 
 
  
 
= Maps =
 
= Maps =
 
[[Map:Krommeniedijk (Noord-Holland)|Map:Krommeniedijk (Noord-Holland)]]
 
[[Map:Krommeniedijk (Noord-Holland)|Map:Krommeniedijk (Noord-Holland)]]
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 3, p. 248|date=1957|a1_last=van der Zijpp|a1_first=Nanne|a2_last=|a2_first=}}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 3, p. 248|date=1957|a1_last=van der Zijpp|a1_first=Nanne|a2_last=|a2_first=}}

Revision as of 19:22, 20 August 2013

Krommeniedijk, a hamlet in the Dutch province of North Holland, was in the earliest times the home of numerous Anabaptists. In 1534 no fewer than 69 persons of this community were accused of "Anabaptism." In that year Jan Dirks Walen (or Walig) and Cornelis Luytgens of Krommeniedijk suffered a martyr's death by burning at The Hague. A congregation was organized here early, belonging to the Waterlander branch, but it always remained small and soon joined the neighboring church at Knollendam in supporting a minister, Simon Kalyerboer, who served 1786-1828; in 1804 the two congregations formally merged. The combined congregation had only 14 members at that time. In 1847 a new meetinghouse was built in Krommeniedijk; it acquired an organ in 1897. Services were held here by the Knollendam pastor until 1921, when the building was sold.

Bibliography

Doopsgezinde Bijdragen (1902): 244; (1907): 36 f., 40-42, 72-76.

Doopsgezind Jaarboekje (1850): 25.

Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: v. II, 577.

Hoop Scheffer, Jacob Gijsbert de. Inventaris der Archiefstukken berustende bij de Vereenigde Doopsgezinde Gemeente to Amsterdam. 2 v. Amsterdam: Uitgegeven en ten geschenke aangeboden door den Kerkeraad dier Gemeente, 1883-1884: I. Nos. 14, 17, 20, 892, 896, 1180; II, 2, Nos. 225, 243.

Kühler, Geschiedenis I, 108 Kühler, Wilhelmus Johannes. Geschiedenis der Nederlandsche Doopsgezinden in de Zestiende Eeuw. Haarlem: H.D. Tjeenk Willink, 1932: 108.

Naamlijst der tegenwoordig in dienst zijnde predikanten der Mennoniten in de vereenigde Nederlanden. (Amsterdam, 1806): 68.

Maps

Map:Krommeniedijk (Noord-Holland)


Author(s) Nanne van der Zijpp
Date Published 1957


Cite This Article

MLA style

van der Zijpp, Nanne. "Krommeniedijk (Noord-Holland, Netherlands)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 28 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Krommeniedijk_(Noord-Holland,_Netherlands)&oldid=82964.

APA style

van der Zijpp, Nanne. (1957). Krommeniedijk (Noord-Holland, Netherlands). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 28 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Krommeniedijk_(Noord-Holland,_Netherlands)&oldid=82964.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 248. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.