From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

The original settlement of the Groffdale Old Order Mennonite Conference was in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. In 2012 it was composed of the following meetinghouses: 

Weaverland Old Order Mennonite Meetinghouse 

The Weaverland meetinghouse is a stone building located in East Earl Township, on Weaverland Road. Completed in 1894, it was erected by the newly-organized Weaverland Conference (Martinites) following the 1893 division from the Lancaster Conference. This is one of the Old Order meetinghouses which is shared on an alternating schedule by the Groffdale and the Weaverland Conference members. In 1966, it was rebuilt and enlarged  50 feet by 96 feet. As of 1 January 2011 the following ministry team served the congregation--the presiding bishop was Ben F. Martin (ordained minister, 1972; bishop, 1990). Ministers were Leroy N. Zimmerman (ordained 1973), John Daniel Sensenig (ordained 2006) and retired minister Amos L. Martin (ordained 1970). The deacon was Harvey B. Sensenig (1999). As of 1 January 2011 there were approximately 102 households in the Weaverland district. 

Groffdale Old Order Mennonite Meetinghouse 

The Groffdale meetinghouse is a wood frame structure situated in West Earl Township along Groffdale Church Road. It was built in 1895, also under direction of the newly-organized Weaverland Conference (Martinites). It has been expanded twice, once in 1938 and again 1968 to its 2012 size of 50 feet by 96 feet. This is also one of the Old Order meetinghouses which is shared on an alternating schedule by the Groffdale and the Weaverland Conference members. As of 1 January 2011, the following ministry team served the congregation--the presiding bishop was Ben F. Martin (ordained minister 1972; bishop, 1990). Ministers were James H. Reiff (ordained 1968)and Marvin S. Nolt (ordained 1993). The deacon was Irvin Z. Horning (ordained 2004) and retired deacon was Norman H. Weaver (ordained 1980). As of 1 January 2011 there were approximately 140 households in the Groffdale district. 

Martindale Old Order Mennonite Meetinghouse

The Martidale meetinghouse is a stone building located in Earl Township, on Martindale Road. This meetinghouse had always been in possession of the Lancaster Conference. After the 1893 division, the Lancaster Conference allowed the Weaverland members to use the meetinghouse every fourth Sunday. In 1927, when the issue of automobile ownership divided the Old Orders into the pro-automobile Weaverland Conference and the anti-automobile Groffdale Conference, a scheduling adjustment was made so that the Lancaster Conference used it every other Sunday and the Weaverland Conference used it on an alternating four-week schedule with the Groffdale Conference. 

In 1948, the Lancaster Conference, after building a new meetinghouse, sold the Martindale meetinghouse with a joint title to the Weaverland Conference and the Groffdale Conference. The orginal building has been expanded twice, first in 1953 and again in 1979. Its 2012 dimensions were 50 feet by 112 feet. This is also one of the Old Order meetinghouses which is shared on an alternating schedule by the Groffdale and the Weaverland Conference members. As of 1 January 2011 the following ministry team served the congregation--the presiding bishop was Titus H. Martin (ordained minister, 1989; bishop, 1993). Ministers were Alvin B. Lied (ordained 1968) and Leroy N. Zimmerman (ordained 1973). The deacon was Harvey H. Nolt (ordained 1987). As of 1 January 2011, there were approximately 126 households in the Martindale district. 

Bowmansville Old Order Mennonite Meetinghouse 

The Bowmansville meetinghouse is a wood frame building erected in 1903 in Brecknock Township, along Oaklyn Drive. This meetinghouse has been rebuilt and enlarged three times: in 1926, in 1956, and in 1972. Its size in 2012 was 49 feet by 95 feet. This is also one of the Old Order Meetinghouses which is shared on an alternating schedule by the Groffdale and the Weaverland Conference members. As of 1 January 2011, the following ministry team served the congregation--the presiding bishop was Titus H. Martin (ordained minister, 1989; bishop, 1993). Ministers were Paul, R. Martin (ordained 1977) and Edwin M. Leinbach (ordained 1983). The deacon was John I. Zimmerman (ordained 1996). As of 1 January 2011, there were approximately 101 households in the Bowmansville district. 

Churchtown Old Order Mennonite Meetinghouse 

The Churchtown meetinghouse is a wood frame building erected in 1910. It is located east of the village of Churchtown in Caernarvon Township, on Route 23. This was expanded first in 1963 and again in 1976. Its measurements in 2012 were 50 feet by 91 feet. This is also one of the Old Order Meetinghouses which is shared on an alternating schedule by the Groffdale and the Weaverland Conference members. As of 1 January 2011, the following ministry team serves the congregation--the presiding bishop was Titus H. Martin (ordained minister, 1989; bishop, 1993). Ministers were Paul R. Martin (ordained 1977) and Elam H. Zimmerman (ordained 1987). The deacon was Carl L. Martin (ordained 1993). As of 1 January 2011 there were approximately 113 households in the Churchtown district. 

Conestoga Old Order Mennonite Meetinghouse 

The Conestoga meetinghouse is a wood frame structure built in 1938. It is located one mile (1.6 km) north of the village of Farmersville in West Earl Township, on North Farmersville Road. Since it lies in close proximity of the Metzlers Mennonite Church, it is considered to be in the Metzlers district. This meetinghouse has been expanded twice, once in 1958 and again in 2006. Its 2012 dimensions were 47 feet by 111 feet. As of 1 January 2011 the following ministry team served the congregation--the presiding bishop was Ammon Z. Weaver (ordained minister 1989; bishop 2008). Ministers were Luke M. Nolt (ordained 1980) and Mervin N. Hoover (ordained 2002). The deacon was Walter W. Horst Jr. (ordained 2009) and retired deacon was Harvey Z. Hoover (ordained 1972). As of 1 January  2011 there were approximately 102 households in the Conestoga district. 

Muddy Creek Old Order Mennonite Meetinghouse

The Muddy Creek meetinghouse is a wood frame building erected in 1961 in Brecknock Township on Muddy Creek Road. It was constructed to relieve the overcrowd in the Martindale district. In 1987 it was enlarged to its 2012 size of 50 feet by 96 feet. As of 1 January 2011 the following ministry team served the congregation--the presiding bishop was Ammon Z. Weaver (ordained minister 1989; bishop, 2009). Ministers were Lawrence Z. Zimmerman (ordained 1996) and Edwin Z. Shirk (ordained 1987). The deacon was Eldon S. Zimmerman (ordained 2000). As of 1 January 2011 there were approximately 102 households in the Muddy Creek district. 

New Holland Old Order Mennonite Meetinghouse 

The New Holland meetinghouse has a wood frame construction. It is located in Earl Township, along Huyard Road. It was completed in 1964 to reduce overcrowding in both the Groffdale Meetinghouse and the Weaverland Meetinghouse. In 2000 it was expanded to 50 feet by 100 feet. As of 1 January 2011 the following ministry team served the congregation--the presiding bishop was Ben F. Martin (ordained minister, 1972; bishop, 1990). Ministers were Alvin B. Leid (ordained 1968) and Marvin S. Nolt (ordained 1993). The deacon was Henry R. Hoover (ordained 2005) and the retired deacon was Israel S. Martin (ordained 1974). As of 1 January 2011 there were approximately 111 households in the New Holland district.

Millway Old Order Mennonite Meetinghouse

The Millway meetinghouse is a wood frame unit built in 1976. It is located five miles (eight km.) northwest of the Conestoga Old Order Meetinghouse in Ephrata Township, along Middle Creek Road. The reason for its construction was the desire to reduce the distance for horse-drawn carriage travel to church services. Its dimensions are 60 feet by 62 feet. As of 1 January 2011 the following ministry team served the congregation--the presiding bishop was Ammon Z. Weaver (ordained minister, 1989; bishop, 2009). Ministers were Luke M. Nolt (ordained 1980) and Mervin N. Hoover (ordained 2002). The deacon was Joseph Z. Shirk (ordained 2000). As of 1 January 2011 there were approximately 63 households in the Millway district. 

Spring Grove Old Order Mennonite Meetinghouse

The Spring Grove meetinghouse was built in 1987 in East Earl Township, on Long Lane Road, using a wood frame construction. This meetinghouse was also built to reduce overcrowding that was occurring in four other Old Order meetinghouses, namely: Weaverland Meetinghouse, Martindale Meetinghouse, Bowmansville Meetinghouse, and Churchtown Meetinghouse. It was expanded in 1996 to the size of 50 feet by 100 feet. As of 1 January 2011 the following ministry team served the congregation--the presiding bishop was Titus H. Martin (ordained minister, 1989; bishop, 1993). Ministers were Jerome M. Wanner (ordained 2004) and John Daniel Sensenig (ordained 2006). The deacon was Harvey B. Sensenig (ordained 1999). On 1 January 2011 there were approximately 130 households in the Spring Grove district.

[edit] Bibliography

Groffdale Conference Mennonite Church Schedules.

Records of ordinations of the Old Order Mennonites, Groffdale Conference churches, 1750 to 2010. East Earl, PA: [Earl Z. Weaver?], 2010.


Author(s) Jonathan H Martin
Date Published February 2012


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Martin, Jonathan H. "Lancaster County Old Order Mennonite Settlement (Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2012. Web. 25 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lancaster_County_Old_Order_Mennonite_Settlement_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=83000.

APA style

Martin, Jonathan H. (February 2012). Lancaster County Old Order Mennonite Settlement (Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lancaster_County_Old_Order_Mennonite_Settlement_(Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=83000.




©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.