From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

Landis Derry (Spring Creek) Meetinghouse, located in Derry Township, Dauphin County, Pennsylvania, on the north edge of Hershey, was erected probably as an "Unpartisan Mennonite Meetinghouse" as was Shirk’s in East Hanover Township, Lebanon County, which by 1854 was transferred to the United Brethren. This Spring Creek Meeting house tract came from John Landis (1753-1829), a great-grandson of Felix Landis, a pioneer of East Lampeter, Lancaster County. Henry Landis (1764-1844), another great-grandson of Felix, was a minister of the Landis congregation. There is a small cemetery here, in which are the graves of John Landis and others bearing this family name. The cemetery is located just off Park Avenue along Smith Alley and behind the residence at 333 Park Avenue. The United Brethren absorbed most of the Mennonite membership. Henry's son Henry Jr. (1794-1885) founded the Landis Meetinghouse (congregation) at Palmyra, Lebanon County, Pennsylvania.


Author(s) Ira D Landis
Date Published 1957


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Landis, Ira D. "Landis Derry Meetinghouse (Hershey, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 23 Sep 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Landis_Derry_Meetinghouse_(Hershey,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=83007.

APA style

Landis, Ira D. (1957). Landis Derry Meetinghouse (Hershey, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 September 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Landis_Derry_Meetinghouse_(Hershey,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=83007.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 281. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.