Lewis County Old Order Amish Settlement (Lewis County, Tennessee, USA)

From GAMEO
Revision as of 19:41, 16 August 2013 by GameoAdmin (talk | contribs) (CSV import - 20130816)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Lewis County, Tennessee, is where an Old Order Amish settlement was founded in the spring of 1946 when the Amish families of P. M. Bontreger, Jacob Mast, and Alvin Mast of Jay County, Indiana, moved to near Hohenwald, Lewis County. A congregation of 20 members met regularly for worship in homes. The minister in charge were Jacob D. Mast, the deacon P. M. Bontreger, and the bishop Christ M. Bontreger of Buchanan County, Iowa.

The settlement had ended by 1955. The settlement always remained small and never had a local bishop. Families began to move to other settlements, the last six families moving to Snyder County, Pennsylvania in 1955.


Bibliography

Luthy, David. The Amish in America: Settlements that Failed, 1840-1960. Aylmer, ON: Pathway Publishers, 1986: 449-452.



Author(s) Sam E. Yoder
Sam Steiner
Date Published January 2008


Cite This Article

MLA style

Yoder, Sam E. and Sam Steiner. "Lewis County Old Order Amish Settlement (Lewis County, Tennessee, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. January 2008. Web. 21 Oct 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lewis_County_Old_Order_Amish_Settlement_(Lewis_County,_Tennessee,_USA)&oldid=66355.

APA style

Yoder, Sam E. and Sam Steiner. (January 2008). Lewis County Old Order Amish Settlement (Lewis County, Tennessee, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 October 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lewis_County_Old_Order_Amish_Settlement_(Lewis_County,_Tennessee,_USA)&oldid=66355.




Hpbuttns.gif

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 330. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.