Lockport Mennonite Church (Stryker, Ohio, USA)

Revision as of 22:43, 5 October 2013 by RichardThiessen (talk | contribs) (Replaced original Mennonite Encyclopedia article with one written in 2011.)

Jump to: navigation, search

Lockport Church history really began with the first Amish settlement at Lauber Hill north of Archbold in 1843. Six families from the Alsace-Lorraine area of France had first settled in Wayne County, Ohio. The first church service in Northwest Ohio was held in the cabin of Christian Lauber in 1835.

In 1876, at a meeting in Peter Short’s barn west of Archbold, the Old Order Amish ways were abandoned. Central Church, built in 1870, was the first permanent meetinghouse. All Amish-Mennonites in the area came to worship in that central location. Services were held bi-weekly, and Sunday School was held in members’ homes to the west and to the east on alternate Sundays.

From 1888 to 1910, membership in the Amish-Mennonite Church doubled from 265 to 560. Growth was influenced by evangelistic meetings, more use of the English language rather than German, four-part harmony singing and better roads for travel.

Around 1900, there was much discussion about building a new church in the west end settlement (Stryker area). After the death of Bishop Christian Stuckey in 1907, members at an annual business meeting decided to build two new churches. One would be in the west end (Lockport), and the other in the east end (West Clinton).

The first Lockport Church was built at a cost of $2,897 in the village of Lockport. It was built just south of the already existing Lockport Cemetery. Land was purchased for $100 from Joe B. Short. The white frame meetinghouse was 36 by 52 feet with four rows of benches. There was a center partition to divide the men and women. Dedication of the new building was held on 23 August 1908, with 850 persons in attendance and 161 rigs at the hitching posts.

For the next 35 years, the three existing Mennonite churches, including Lockport, Central, and West Clinton, functioned as one body. In January 1922, Lockport was finally granted the privilege of holding its own services every Sunday. Three ministers rotated among all three churches.

In 1930, the original Lockport building was remodeled and enlarged. Expanded to 36 by 70 feet, the frame structure now had a basement, balcony and central heating system. More rows of benches were also added.

Much growth occurred during the depression years. Revival meetings, Winter Bible Schools, increased interest in missions, and religious instruction in the schools all took place.

Simon Stuckey and Walter Stuckey were ordained to the ministry in 1938. By 1944, the division from the Central Church was complete, and Lockport had 345 members on its roll.

In 1956, Lockport built a separate fellowship hall. The current brick sanctuary was built in 1962 and dedicated on Palm Sunday of 1963. Later, side additions were added to the main church in 1976 and in 1995, including classrooms, office space and an elevator.

Lockport Church currently has a thriving membership of 416. Current pastor is Cliff Brubaker, and he is assisted by a group of four elders. Sunday morning worship is at 9:15 a.m. followed by Sunday School at 10:30 a.m.

A blended worship service involves scriptural readings, prayer, instrumental music with several praise bands and choirs, four-part a cappella hymn singing, children’s lessons, drama, and sermons.

Bible schools have been held every summer since 1946. Among other current church programs are Mennonite Women, Missions Committee, Christian Education Committee, Visitation and Caring Ministry Team, Caring Christian Committee, Life Planning, Mennonite Youth Fellowship, Quiz Teams, Goldenaires, Ladies Bible Study, Prison Ministry at CCNO, Lockport Bus Tours, and participation in the Black Swamp Benefit Auction.

Lockport Church was responsible for planting two new churches including Pine Grove Mennonite Church in Stryker (1951) and Salem Mennonite Church in Waldron, MI (1960). Lockport Church has most recently been involved in a ministry-based church structure and a culture of call intern program to train potential ministers.

Lockport Mennonite Church celebrated its 100th Anniversary as a congregation in 2008. With the theme “Bridging the Century”, a weekend of activities was planned and held by the committee on September 20 and 21.

Two publications to honor the occasion were published. The Days of My Years, a memoir of the life and work of Walter Stuckey (1909-2005), was published in book form, and a 100th Anniversary Lockport Mennonite Church cookbook with 660 recipes was also published.


Grove, Myrna. "Lockport Mennonite Church Bridges the Century." Stryker Area Heritage Council. 2011. Web. 5 October 2013. http://www.strykerahc.org/html/lockport_mennonite_church.htm.

Additional Information

Address: 9269 County Road 21 North, Stryker, Ohio

Phone: 419-682-1831

Denominational Affiliations:

Ohio Conference of Mennonite Church USA

Mennonite Church USA 

Lockport Mennonite Church Pastors and Associate Pastors

Minister Years of Service
Simon Stuckey 1944-1970
Walter Stuckey 1944-1974
Earl Stuckey 1955-1960
Art Zehr 1971
Keith Leinbach 1973-1987
Jim Groeneweg 1983-1994
Allen Rutter 1988-2006
Charles Gautsche 1994-1996
Mark and Wendy Miller 1997-2004
Pamela Short 2005-2008
Cliff Brubaker 2007-present

Original Article from Mennonite Encyclopedia

Copied by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 384. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.

Lockport Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA) is located three miles (five km) north of Stryker, Williams County, Ohio; a member of the Ohio Conference of Mennonite Church USA, it had its beginning in 1834-1836, when a group of Amish settlers from Alsace and France settled in the Fulton County area. The most common names were Short, Stuckey, Graber, Beck, and Aschliman. At first, in accord with Amish practice, they met in homes for services. In 1870 the Central meetinghouse was built and served the entire Fulton-Williams County settlement. Even after other meetinghouses were built at Lockport and West Clinton, the group was organized as a single congregation until 1943. The Lockport church was built in 1908 and remodeled in 1930. It is located at the western end of the Mennonite community. In 1955 the membership was 382, with Walter Stuckey as bishop, and Simon Stuckey and Earl Stuckey as ministers. In 1951 the Lockport congregation established the Pine Grove Mennonite Church. -- Walter Stuckey, 1957

Author(s) Myrna Grove
Date Published 2011

Cite This Article

MLA style

Grove, Myrna. "Lockport Mennonite Church (Stryker, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 2011. Web. 22 Jun 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lockport_Mennonite_Church_(Stryker,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=102235.

APA style

Grove, Myrna. (2011). Lockport Mennonite Church (Stryker, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 June 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lockport_Mennonite_Church_(Stryker,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=102235.

©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.