Lockport Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA) is located three miles (five km) north of Stryker, Williams County, Ohio; a member of the Ohio Conference of Mennonite Church USA, it had its beginning in 1834-1836, when a group of Amish settlers from Alsace and France settled in the Fulton County area. The most common names were Short, Stuckey, Graber, Beck, and Aschliman. At first, in accord with Amish practice, they met in homes for services. In 1870 the Central meetinghouse was built and served the entire Fulton-Williams County settlement. Even after other meetinghouses were built at Lockport and West Clinton, the group was organized as a single congregation until 1943. The Lockport church was built in 1908 and remodeled in 1930. It is located at the western end of the Mennonite community. In 1955 the membership was 382, with Walter Stuckey as bishop, and Simon Stuckey and Earl Stuckey as ministers. In 1951 the Lockport congregation established the Pine Grove Mennonite Church.
In 2004 the membership was 419.
Address: 9269 County Road 21 North, Stryker, Ohio
Cite This Article
Stuckey, Walter. "Lockport Mennonite Church (Stryker, Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 30 May 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lockport_Mennonite_Church_(Stryker,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=83301.
Stuckey, Walter. (1957). Lockport Mennonite Church (Stryker, Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 May 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lockport_Mennonite_Church_(Stryker,_Ohio,_USA)&oldid=83301.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.