The Locust Grove Mennonite Church (formerly Locust Grove Conservative Amish Mennonite Church) is located in Union Township, Mifflin County, Pennsylvania, one-fourth mile (one-half km) west of Belleville; it was organized in November 1898 under the leadership of Bishop Abraham D. Zook. The congregation worshiped at first on alternate Sundays at the Belleville and Allensville A.M. meetinghouse, and six months later in the home of David Z.Yoder one mile north of Belleville. A new meetinghouse was built in 1899, and enlarged in 1927 and 1948. The congregation is a member of the Conservative Mennonite Conference. Brethren ordained in the congregation by the 1950s included Samuel T. Yoder, John L. Mast, Jonas D. Yoder, Benjamin Glick, John B. Zook, Emanuel B. Peachey, and Louis Peachey. The 1954 ministers included senior Bishop John L. Mast, junior Bishop Emanuel B. Peachey, preachers John B. Zook and Louis Peachey; the 1954 membership was 405.
In 2011 the leading minister was J. Max Zook and the congregational membership was 446.
Anabaptist (Mennonite) Directory 2011. Harrisonburg, VA: The Sword and Trumpet, 2011: 50.
Address: 3358 West Main Street, Belleville, Pennsylvania
Denominational Affiliation:Conservative Mennonite Conference
Website: Locust Grove Mennonite Church
|Author(s)||J. J, Jr. Yoder|
|Richard D. Thiessen|
|Date Published||April 2012|
Cite This Article
Yoder, J. J, Jr. and Richard D. Thiessen. "Locust Grove Mennonite Church (Belleville, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 2012. Web. 24 Nov 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Locust_Grove_Mennonite_Church_(Belleville,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=104449.
Yoder, J. J, Jr. and Richard D. Thiessen. (April 2012). Locust Grove Mennonite Church (Belleville, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 November 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Locust_Grove_Mennonite_Church_(Belleville,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=104449.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.