The first Mennonite family to Lewis County, New York came from Europe in 1833 and settled in Croghan. The first organized congregation started meeting in homes in 1836. They met every other Sunday. The services were very long with several sermons, testimonies and singing.
In 1912, the first church building was erected at Croghan, which still serves the present Croghan Mennonite congregation after a recent addition and renovation.
Earlier, in 1909, the first Mennonite family moved to the Lowville area. Other families followed and in 1913, a church building was bought at Rectors Corners and moved to our present site on the Ridge Road. The building was dedicated in January 1914. Services were held every Sunday, alternating between Croghan and Lowville, called Dadville at that time. The congregation increased in numbers. Sunday School began in 1915 and evening services in 1933.
The small building at Lowville became overcrowded and a new building was built to replace the old one in 1934.
In 1949, Sunday School began at Pine Grove Mission as a result of Summer Bible School. Later, regular preaching services were held. In 1957, a Sunday School was started in Carthage, New York, followed by regular preaching services. In 1963, a vacant church building in Naumburg, New York, was purchased from The Church of God and this became the place of worship for a new fellowship. This group was made up of members from the larger congregations of Lowville and Croghan.
United, the groups functioned as one congregation with several buildings. In 1968, separate leadership was developed in the 3 churches, officially dividing into congregations.
The members of Lowville Mennonite Church gradually felt the need for larger and more suitable facilities to accommodate the Sunday School, Summer Bible School, Sewing Circle, and to provide a fellowship hall, nursery, library, etc. The plans were made, and on 10 June 1973 a remodeled building was finished and dedicated.
Lowville Mennonite Church. "Lowville Mennonite Church- About LMC." Web. 15 April 2012. <>.
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 167, Lowville, NY 13367
Website: Lowville Mennonite Church
|Author(s)||Richard D Thiessen|
|Date Published||April 2012|
Cite This Article
Thiessen, Richard D. "Lowville Mennonite Church (Lowville, New York, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 2012. Web. 29 Nov 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lowville_Mennonite_Church_(Lowville,_New_York,_USA)&oldid=83389.
Thiessen, Richard D. (April 2012). Lowville Mennonite Church (Lowville, New York, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 November 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Lowville_Mennonite_Church_(Lowville,_New_York,_USA)&oldid=83389.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.