Maple Lawn Amish Mennonite Church (Nappanee, Indiana, USA)

From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search

The Maple Lawn Amish Mennonite Church (originally Burkholder Conservative Amish Mennonite Church) and a member of the Beachy Amish Church is located on County Road 52, two miles (three km) northwest of Nappanee, Elkhart County, Indiana. The name change to Maple Lawn took place in 1954.

It was organized on 28 April 1940, with 24 members, under the leadership of David O. Burkholder, who served as the first pastor. Burkholder was silenced by the Old Order Amish ministers on 7 April 1940, and Moses Beachy helped to organize the new congregation.

The meetinghouse, seating 400, was dedicated on 26 September 1943. The ministers serving the church in 1953 were Bishop David O. Burkholder, Jacob L. Mast, Irvin D. Miller, and Steve Yoder, with a membership of 76. The group came entirely from the Old Order Amish of the community.

In 2017 the church was a member of the Beachy Amish Mennonite Fellowship and had a membership of 40. The bishop was Thomas Allen Mast, and the minister was Gary Burkholder.

Bibliography

"Amish Mennonite Churches in Indiana." The Beachy Amish Mennonites. 2013. Web. 13 February 2018. http://www.beachyam.org/churches/in.htm.

Anderson, Cory. The Amish-Mennonites of North America: a portrait of our people. Medina, New York: Ridgeway Publishing, 2012: 194-195.

Mennonite Church directory (2017): 44.

Yoder, Elmer S. The Beachy Amish Mennonite Fellowship Churches. Hartville, Ohio: Diakonia Ministries, 1987: 316-318.

Additional Information

Address: 29267 CR 52, Nappanee, Indiana

Phone:

Website:

Denominational Affiliations:

Beachy Amish Mennonite Fellowship

Map

Maple Lawn Amish Mennonite Church

Alternate Original Mennonite Encyclopedia Article

By Melvin Gingerich. Copied by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 4, p. 201. All rights reserved.

Maple Lawn Beachy Amish Mennonite Church, Nappanee, Indiana, is located one mile north and one (1.6 km.) and one-half miles (2.5 km.) west of town. The congregation was organized in 1940 and its church built in 1943. Its membership was 95 in 1959, with Steve Yoder as bishop.


Author(s) Davod O Burkholder
Sam Steiner
Date Published February 2018


Cite This Article

MLA style

Burkholder, Davod O and Sam Steiner. "Maple Lawn Amish Mennonite Church (Nappanee, Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. February 2018. Web. 20 Feb 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Maple_Lawn_Amish_Mennonite_Church_(Nappanee,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=156875.

APA style

Burkholder, Davod O and Sam Steiner. (February 2018). Maple Lawn Amish Mennonite Church (Nappanee, Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 February 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Maple_Lawn_Amish_Mennonite_Church_(Nappanee,_Indiana,_USA)&oldid=156875.




Hpbuttns.png

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 1, p. 478. All rights reserved.


©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.