Margenau (Molotschna Mennonite Settlement, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)

From GAMEO
Revision as of 20:01, 22 January 2014 by RichardThiessen (talk | contribs) (Text replace - "<em class="gameo_bibliography">Mennonitisches Lexikon</em>." to "<em class="gameo_bibliography">Mennonitisches Lexikon</em>, 4 vols.")

Jump to: navigation, search

Margenau, located on the Kurushan River, a tributary of the Molotschna River, was a village of the Molotschna Mennonite settlement, Gnadenfeld volost, Berdyansk district, Ukraine, founded in 1819. The village consisted of some 300 inhabitants and was primarily agricultural. During the famine of 1932-1933, more than 50 persons died. Under the Soviets many individuals were exiled. When the German army approached in 1941, the Margenau Mennonite population was sent to Asiatic Russia. Only a few remained during the German occupation and have since reached North America.

Bibliography

Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: II, 626; III, 36.


Author(s) Cornelius Krahn
Date Published 1957


Cite This Article

MLA style

Krahn, Cornelius. "Margenau (Molotschna Mennonite Settlement, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 23 Oct 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Margenau_(Molotschna_Mennonite_Settlement,_Zaporizhia_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=111330.

APA style

Krahn, Cornelius. (1957). Margenau (Molotschna Mennonite Settlement, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 October 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Margenau_(Molotschna_Mennonite_Settlement,_Zaporizhia_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=111330.




Hpbuttns.gif

Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 478. All rights reserved.


©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.