Marion County, Missouri U.S. Census TIGER/Line map
Marion County, Missouri
, is located in the eastern part of the state about 50 miles (80 km) south of the Iowa
state line and on the Mississippi River. In 1955 about 100 Mennonites were located in the eastern and central parts of the county, two families in adjoining Rolls County. The first Mennonite settled in Marion County in the late 1880s or early 1890s, coming here from Lancaster County
. There were two Mennonite (Mennonite Church
) churches in Marion County: Pea Ridge
, 12 miles (20 km) west of Palmyra, and the Hannibal Mission Church, 1530 Lyon St., Hannibal. The Palmyra Mennonite Church
was closed in 1955. The former members are now in one of the two remain ing congregations. The total membership in 1956 was 108.
|| John F Kreider
| Date Published
 Cite This Article
Kreider, John F. "Marion County (Missouri, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 25 Sep 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Marion_County_(Missouri,_USA)&oldid=92600.
Kreider, John F. (1957). Marion County (Missouri, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 September 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Marion_County_(Missouri,_USA)&oldid=92600.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Kitchener, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 3, p. 485. All rights reserved.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.