R.R. 1, Waterloo, ON. Located on the southeast corner of King St. N. and Country Squire Road on the northern edge of Waterloo. Minister Joseph F. Weber served in 2000 as a non-salaried congregational leader. The congregation has been affiliated with the Markham-Waterloo Mennonite Conference since 1939. The language of worship is English and German; the transition from German occurred in the 1940s.
The congregation began services and formally organized in 1939. The first building was occupied in 1939. The congregation originated through division from the Martin Old Order Mennonites over a desire to use telephones and automobiles. The two groups used the meetinghouse on alternate Sundays. The meetinghouse is an excellent example of the older style of architecture and interior arrangement and furniture. In 1900 it was enlarged to 42 x 64 ft.
The meetinghouse was shared between the Old Order Mennonites and the Markham-Waterloo Mennonite Conference until the end of 1995.
Mennonite Encyclopedia, "Martin."
Frey, Aden. "The Markham-Waterloo Conference of Ontario." Research paper, Conrad Grebel College, 1972, 38 pp.
Mennonites in Canada collection. "70-Markham-Waterloo." Mennonite Archives of Ontario.
Hiebert, Esther. "History of the Markham-Waterloo Conference." Research paper, Canadian Mennonite Bible College, 1980, 62 pp. Mennonite Archives of Ontario.
|Date Published||April 1986|
Cite This Article
Epp, Marlene. "Martin Mennonite Meetinghouse (Waterloo, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. April 1986. Web. 29 Aug 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Martin_Mennonite_Meetinghouse_(Waterloo,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=58346.
Epp, Marlene. (April 1986). Martin Mennonite Meetinghouse (Waterloo, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 August 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Martin_Mennonite_Meetinghouse_(Waterloo,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=58346.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.