Martins Creek Mennonite Church, located north of Berlin, Holmes County, Ohio, a member of the Ohio Conference of Mennonite Church USA, was organized in 1860 by former members of the Old Order Amish in this community, the first settlers having come in 1824.
The first meetinghouse, 25 x 48 ft, was erected in 1875, its second in 1906, when the membership was about 200, which was remodeled in 1955 to seat 550. The first bishop was Fred Hague, who was followed by Jonathan Zook, Fred Mast, and Joseph Mast. After a period of nonresident bishops, D. D. Miller, who was serving in 1956, was installed as bishop-pastor. He was assisted by Warren Miller. The membership in 1955 was 357. The membership in 2005 was 255; the pastor was Carl Wiebe.
The congregations at Berlin (1939) and Millersburg (1956) were organized out of Martins Creek. In addition the Flat Ridge Mission Church, 10 miles (16 km) south of Newcomerstown, was sponsored by the Martin's Creek congregation.
The congregation's address is: 6111 CR 203, Millersburg, Ohio.
|Author(s)||Harold S Bender|
Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. "Martins Creek Mennonite Church (Millersburg, Ohio)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 29 Nov 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Martins_Creek_Mennonite_Church_(Millersburg,_Ohio)&oldid=58356.
Bender, Harold S. (1957). Martins Creek Mennonite Church (Millersburg, Ohio). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 29 November 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Martins_Creek_Mennonite_Church_(Millersburg,_Ohio)&oldid=58356.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.