Martinshof, a large farm near Bad Rappenau in the district of Sinsheim in Baden, Germany, which was acquired by Mennonites in the middle of the 18th century. A Mennonite congregation was organized here, closely associated with Bockschaft. The two were served by the same preachers. According to an entry in the Protestant church books at Treschklingen, one of the first weddings of this congrega tion was performed at the Martinshof on 24 April 1768 (Jakob Krehbiihl and Katharina Plotscher). This congregation was served in the last decades of the 18th century by Elder Abraham Zeisset of Hasselbach; preachers of the Martinshof congregation then were Hans Kaufmann and Hans Bechtel. In 1862 the farm changed ownership and the buildings were removed. The site is now in a bare field. The Mennonites here then met in Bad Rappenau.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon., 4 v. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 44.
Mennonitische Geschichtsblätter (1936): 23.
Naamlijst der tegenwoordig in dienst zijnde predikanten der Mennoniten in de vereenigde Nederlanden. Amsterdam, 1731, 1743, 1755, 1757, 1766, 1769, 1775, 1780, 1782, 1784, 1786, 1787, 1789, 1791, 1793, 1802, 1804, 1806, 1808, 1810, 1815, 1829.
Noll, K. Geschichte von Rappenau. Rappenau, 1907: 172 f.
Cite This Article
Hege, Christian. "Martinshof (Baden-Württemberg, Germany)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 2 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Martinshof_(Baden-W%C3%BCrttemberg,_Germany)&oldid=92630.
Hege, Christian. (1957). Martinshof (Baden-Württemberg, Germany). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 2 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Martinshof_(Baden-W%C3%BCrttemberg,_Germany)&oldid=92630.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.