From GAMEO
Revision as of 17:25, 19 March 2014 by SamSteiner (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)

Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Mechanic Grove Mennonite Church (Mennonite Church USA), is a member of the Lancaster Conference, and is located near a small rural town by this name, four miles (6.5 km) south of Quarryville, Lancaster County, PA. When members began to move into this formerly Scottish-Irish area services were desired. In 1877 Amos Herr preached in the village. The 20 members in the fall of 1881 built a frame structure 46 x 35 ft., which served the congregation until 1949, when it was extensively remodeled and enlarged. In 1954 Abram D. Metzler and J. Harold Breneman were serving as ministers, with a membership of 149. In 1920 a schism occurred, led by John W. Swarr, a preacher who led the group into the General Conference Mennonite Church. This group, called the Calvary Mennonite Church, had 57 members in 1954.

In 2006 Mechanic Grove had 85 members; Jay L. Ranck served as pastor.

Additional Information

Address: 735 Church Road, Quarryville, PA 17566

Phone: 717-786-4730

Website: http://www.mechanicgrovemc.org/

Denominational Affiliations:

Lancaster Mennonite Conference

Mennonite Church USA

Map

Map:Mechanic Grove Mennonite Church (Quarryville, Pennsylvania, USA)


Author(s) Ira D Landis
Date Published 1957


Cite This Article

MLA style

Landis, Ira D. "Mechanic Grove Mennonite Church (Quarryville, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 25 Jul 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mechanic_Grove_Mennonite_Church_(Quarryville,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116307.

APA style

Landis, Ira D. (1957). Mechanic Grove Mennonite Church (Quarryville, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 July 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mechanic_Grove_Mennonite_Church_(Quarryville,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=116307.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 547. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.