Medina County, Ohio U.S. Census TIGER/Line map
Medina County, Ohio, originally a part of Western Reserve of Connecticut,, was organized in 1818. It was the home in 1957 of three Mennonite congregations with a total of 425 baptized members: Wadsworth First Mennonite
) (General Conference Mennonite
) with 254 members, Lower (Old Order Mennonite
) with 40 members, and Bethel (Mennonite Church
) with 131, in the southeastern part of the county, all derived from original Mennonite settlers from Bucks County
, Pennsylvania, in 1829, soon joined by others from Maryland
, from Lancaster and Lehigh
, and from Canada
. The first Mennonite school of higher education
(General Conference Mennonite) was located in Wadsworth in 1867-1878.
|| John S Umble
| Date Published
Cite This Article
Umble, John S. "Medina County (Ohio, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 1 Dec 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Medina_County_(Ohio,_USA)&oldid=89579.
Umble, John S. (1957). Medina County (Ohio, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 1 December 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Medina_County_(Ohio,_USA)&oldid=89579.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 3, pp. 555-556. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.