From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][unchecked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
(CSV import - 20130820)
Line 1: Line 1:
The Mennonite Board of Charitable Homes (and Missions) was organized at Marshallville, Ohio, in 1899, and merged with the Mennonite Evangelizing and Benevolent Board in 1906 to become the [[Mennonite Board of Missions (Mennonite Church)|Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities]]. The phrase "and Missions" was added to the name in 1903. This [[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church (MC)]] board was organized as the result of a mistake, not in competition with the Evangelizing and Benevolent Board. It was mistakenly assumed that an organization to hold property in Ohio would need to be incorporated in Ohio, and the desire to take over the [[Orphans' Home (West Liberty, Ohio, USA)|Orphans' Home]] founded at Orrville, Ohio, in 1896, and to establish the Old People's Home at Marshallville, Ohio, in 1899, was the occasion for the organization and incorporation. The first president was M. S. Steiner of Columbus Grove, Ohio, and one of the five directors was [[Kolb, Abram B. (1862-1925)|A. B. Kolb]], president of the Mennonite Evangelizing and Benevolent Board. The officers of the new board almost throughout its history were M. S. Steiner president, [[Yoder, Christian Z. (1845-1939)|C. Z. Yoder]]vice-president, D. C. Amstutz secretary, and A. Burkholder treasurer. [[Steiner, Menno Simon (1866-1911)|M. S. Steiner]], an aggressive man of vision, was the leader. The <em>[[Mennonite Yearbook and Directory|Mennonite Yearbook and Directory]]</em> was begun in 1905 by this board. In 1905 the Eastern Mission Committee was appointed "to oversee and manage any institutions in the Eastern States that may come under the supervision of the Board." The committee was J. H. Mellinger, S. S. Krabill, and [[Musselman, Samuel H. (1855-1929)|S. H. Musselman]], all of [[Lancaster County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Lancaster County]], PA, and later leaders in the formation of the [[Eastern Mennonite Missions (Lancaster Mennonite Conference)|Eastern Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities]] in 1914. In the merger of 1906, M. S. Steiner became the president of the new board.
+
The Mennonite Board of Charitable Homes (and Missions) was organized at Marshallville, Ohio, in 1899, and merged with the Mennonite Evangelizing and Benevolent Board in 1906 to become the [[Mennonite Board of Missions (Mennonite Church)|Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities]]. The phrase "and Missions" was added to the name in 1903. This [[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church (MC)]] board was organized as the result of a mistake, not in competition with the Evangelizing and Benevolent Board. It was mistakenly assumed that an organization to hold property in Ohio would need to be incorporated in Ohio, and the desire to take over the [[Orphans' Home (West Liberty, Ohio, USA)|Orphans' Home]] founded at Orrville, Ohio, in 1896, and to establish the Old People's Home at Marshallville, Ohio, in 1899, was the occasion for the organization and incorporation. The first president was M. S. Steiner of Columbus Grove, Ohio, and one of the five directors was [[Kolb, Abram B. (1862-1925)|A. B. Kolb]], president of the Mennonite Evangelizing and Benevolent Board. The officers of the new board almost throughout its history were M. S. Steiner president, [[Yoder, Christian Z. (1845-1939)|C. Z. Yoder]]vice-president, D. C. Amstutz secretary, and A. Burkholder treasurer. [[Steiner, Menno Simon (1866-1911)|M. S. Steiner]], an aggressive man of vision, was the leader. The <em>[[Mennonite Yearbook and Directory|Mennonite Yearbook and Directory]]</em> was begun in 1905 by this board. In 1905 the Eastern Mission Committee was appointed "to oversee and manage any institutions in the Eastern States that may come under the supervision of the Board." The committee was J. H. Mellinger, S. S. Krabill, and [[Musselman, Samuel H. (1855-1929)|S. H. Musselman]], all of [[Lancaster County (Pennsylvania, USA)|Lancaster County]], PA, and later leaders in the formation of the [[Eastern Mennonite Missions (Lancaster Mennonite Conference)|Eastern Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities]] in 1914. In the merger of 1906, M. S. Steiner became the president of the new board.
 
+
 
+
 
= Bibliography =
 
= Bibliography =
 
Hartzler, Levi. <em class="gameo_bibliography">A Brief History of Mennonite Missions. Elkhart, IN, 1955.</em>
 
Hartzler, Levi. <em class="gameo_bibliography">A Brief History of Mennonite Missions. Elkhart, IN, 1955.</em>
 
 
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 3, p. 590|date=1957|a1_last=Bender|a1_first=Harold S|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 3, p. 590|date=1957|a1_last=Bender|a1_first=Harold S|a2_last= |a2_first= }}

Revision as of 19:56, 20 August 2013

The Mennonite Board of Charitable Homes (and Missions) was organized at Marshallville, Ohio, in 1899, and merged with the Mennonite Evangelizing and Benevolent Board in 1906 to become the Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities. The phrase "and Missions" was added to the name in 1903. This Mennonite Church (MC) board was organized as the result of a mistake, not in competition with the Evangelizing and Benevolent Board. It was mistakenly assumed that an organization to hold property in Ohio would need to be incorporated in Ohio, and the desire to take over the Orphans' Home founded at Orrville, Ohio, in 1896, and to establish the Old People's Home at Marshallville, Ohio, in 1899, was the occasion for the organization and incorporation. The first president was M. S. Steiner of Columbus Grove, Ohio, and one of the five directors was A. B. Kolb, president of the Mennonite Evangelizing and Benevolent Board. The officers of the new board almost throughout its history were M. S. Steiner president, C. Z. Yodervice-president, D. C. Amstutz secretary, and A. Burkholder treasurer. M. S. Steiner, an aggressive man of vision, was the leader. The Mennonite Yearbook and Directory was begun in 1905 by this board. In 1905 the Eastern Mission Committee was appointed "to oversee and manage any institutions in the Eastern States that may come under the supervision of the Board." The committee was J. H. Mellinger, S. S. Krabill, and S. H. Musselman, all of Lancaster County, PA, and later leaders in the formation of the Eastern Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities in 1914. In the merger of 1906, M. S. Steiner became the president of the new board.

Bibliography

Hartzler, Levi. A Brief History of Mennonite Missions. Elkhart, IN, 1955.


Author(s) Harold S Bender
Date Published 1957


Cite This Article

MLA style

Bender, Harold S. "Mennonite Board of Charitable Homes (Mennonite Church)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 21 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Board_of_Charitable_Homes_(Mennonite_Church)&oldid=89664.

APA style

Bender, Harold S. (1957). Mennonite Board of Charitable Homes (Mennonite Church). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Board_of_Charitable_Homes_(Mennonite_Church)&oldid=89664.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 590. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.