Mennonite Central Peace Committee
Mennonite Central Peace Committee, the forerunner of the MCC Peace Section, was organized on 30 September 1939, to represent the peace committees of seven Mennonite bodies in the United States in preparing for threatening war. Officers were P. C. Hiebert (Mennonite Brethren) chairman, E. L. Harshbarger (General Conference Mennonite) vice-chairman and treasurer, and H. S. Bender (Mennonite Church) secretary. A preliminary organization had already been formed on 10 March 1939, with the same officers. The MCPC adopted a "Plan of Action for Mennonites in Case of War," which outlined a course of united action which was later followed. It also commissioned the Mennonite Central Committee to assume the administration of the Civilian Public Service program, which it did on 21 December 1940. On 3 January 1942 as a result of an overture by the MCPC, the MCC created the Peace Section to take over the MCPC functions, and on 13 January 1942 the Peace Section was set up, and the MCPC dissolved.
Unruh, J. D. In the Name of Christ: A History of the Mennonite Central Committee and Its Service 1920-1951. Akron, PA: Mennonite Central Committee, 1952.
|Author(s)||Harold S Bender|
Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. "Mennonite Central Peace Committee." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 21 Aug 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Central_Peace_Committee&oldid=89688.
Bender, Harold S. (1957). Mennonite Central Peace Committee. Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 August 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Central_Peace_Committee&oldid=89688.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.