Mennonite Charité, a private charitable corporation, was organized and incorporated in 1908 by the First Mennonite Church of Halstead, Garden Township Mennonite Church, First Mennonite Church of Christian, and some citizens of Kansas to maintain charitable institutions such as a Christian hospital, a home for the aged, and orphanages, and to employ physicians and nurses. The place of business was Halstead and some of the first directors of the organization were Christian Krehbiel, Arthur E. Hertzler, John C. Goering, and C. E. Krehbiel. The Charité reported regularly to the Western District Conference (General Conference Mennonite Church). The primary purpose of the organization was to help the Halstead Hospital in its financial crises. In 1931 the Mennonite Charité was dissolved and its funds, consisting of $6,000, were turned over to the church building fund of the Western District Conference (GCM). At that time P. P. Wedel functioned as president and C. E. Krehbiel as secretary.
Charter and By-laws of Mennonite Charité. Halstead, 1908.
Minutes of the Mennonite Charité 1909-1931. Original and printed minutes in the Mennonite Library and Archives, Bethel College (North Newton, Kansas, USA).
Cite This Article
Krahn, Cornelius. "Mennonite Charité (Kansas)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 22 Oct 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Charit%C3%A9_(Kansas)&oldid=58604.
Krahn, Cornelius. (1957). Mennonite Charité (Kansas). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 22 October 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Charit%C3%A9_(Kansas)&oldid=58604.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.