The Mennonite Press was initially a joint venture of the Board of Education and Publication of the General Conference Mennonite Church and Bethel College of Newton, Kansas. It came into official existence 1 July 1949 after a two-year period of negotiations. Its purpose, as expressed in the charter, being "to merge their respective printing interests in a jointly operated Press." It was controlled by a separate board consisting of five members, two of whom were selected by each of the two parties to the venture for indeterminate tenure and a fifth being elected by these four. The first chairman of the Board was H. J. Andres. The Mennonite Press was responsible to the Conference through the Conference Board of Education and Publication, and to the Bethel College through its board representatives. It was located at 2513 North Main St., North Newton. Official reports showed net assets of $20,827.37 at the close of 1949, and $52,135.50 on 30 June 1954. It began with five full-time employees in 1949; in 1954 there were nine. The Press did general letterpress and offset-process printing, as well as extensive mailing operations for various church bodies. The first manager was Bernhard Bargen. Dan Epp was the 1957 manager.
In time private ownership took over the Bethel College half of Mennonite Press. In 2002, after the restructuring of Mennonite Church, the General Conference Mennonite Church and the Conference of Mennonites in Canada into Mennonite Church USA and Mennonite Church Canada, the Mennonite Church USA sold its portion of Mennonite Press to its private partners.
Cite This Article
Bargen, Bernhard. "Mennonite Press (Newton, Kansas, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 21 Dec 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Press_(Newton,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=58691.
Bargen, Bernhard. (1957). Mennonite Press (Newton, Kansas, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 21 December 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Press_(Newton,_Kansas,_USA)&oldid=58691.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.