From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
(CSV import - 20130820)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
The Mennonite Research Foundation, a semiautonomous organization, chartered by the [[Mennonite Board of Education (Mennonite Church)|Mennonite (MC) Board of Education]] with office at [[Goshen (Indiana, USA)|Goshen]], Indiana, was founded in February 1947 to serve the research needs of the [[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church (MC)]] by carrying on or aiding research and publication in such fields as Mennonite history, theology, sociology, education, evangelism, and current activities and problems. It was controlled by a board of seven directors appointed by the Executive Committee of the Mennonite Board of Education including representatives from the three major boards of the Mennonite Church (MC), education, [[Mennonite Publication Board (Mennonite Church)|publication]], and [[Mennonite Board of Missions (Mennonite Church)|missions]], and its three colleges, [[Goshen College (Goshen, Indiana, USA)|Goshen]], [[Eastern Mennonite University (Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA)|Eastern Mennonite]], and Hesston. Officers from the beginning were [[Erb, Paul (1894-1984)|Paul Erb]], chairman, [[Bender, Harold Stauffer (1897-1962)|H. S. Bender]], secretary, [[Metzler, Abram Jacob (1902-1996)|A. J. Metzler]], treasurer. [[Gingerich, Melvin (1902-1975)|Melvin Gingerich]] was director of research from the beginning, with [[Hershberger, Guy F. (1896-1989)|G. F. Hershberger]] serving as acting director 1955-1957. The budget was supplied by contributions from the boards and a group of private supporters known as Mennonite Research Associates, plus fees charged for services rendered. In 1959 the work of the foundation was merged with the [[Historical Committee of the Mennonite Church|Historical Committee of the Mennonite Church]]. The latter body was renamed the Historical and Research Committee.
+
The Mennonite Research Foundation, a semiautonomous organization, chartered by the [[Mennonite Board of Education (Mennonite Church)|Mennonite (MC) Board of Education]] with office at [[Goshen (Indiana, USA)|Goshen]], Indiana, was founded in February 1947 to serve the research needs of the [[Mennonite Church (MC)|Mennonite Church (MC)]] by carrying on or aiding research and publication in such fields as Mennonite history, theology, sociology, education, evangelism, and current activities and problems. It was controlled by a board of seven directors appointed by the Executive Committee of the Mennonite Board of Education including representatives from the three major boards of the Mennonite Church (MC), education, [[Mennonite Publication Board (Mennonite Church)|publication]], and [[Mennonite Board of Missions (Mennonite Church)|missions]], and its three colleges, [[Goshen College (Goshen, Indiana, USA)|Goshen]], [[Eastern Mennonite University (Harrisonburg, Virginia, USA)|Eastern Mennonite]], and Hesston. Officers from the beginning were [[Erb, Paul (1894-1984)|Paul Erb]], chairman, [[Bender, Harold Stauffer (1897-1962)|H. S. Bender]], secretary, [[Metzler, Abram Jacob (1902-1996)|A. J. Metzler]], treasurer. [[Gingerich, Melvin (1902-1975)|Melvin Gingerich]] was director of research from the beginning, with [[Hershberger, Guy F. (1896-1989)|G. F. Hershberger]] serving as acting director 1955-1957. The budget was supplied by contributions from the boards and a group of private supporters known as Mennonite Research Associates, plus fees charged for services rendered. In 1959 the work of the foundation was merged with the [[Historical Committee of the Mennonite Church|Historical Committee of the Mennonite Church]]. The latter body was renamed the Historical and Research Committee.
 
+
 
+
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 3, p. 637|date=1957|a1_last=Bender|a1_first=Harold S|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 3, p. 637|date=1957|a1_last=Bender|a1_first=Harold S|a2_last= |a2_first= }}

Latest revision as of 19:56, 20 August 2013

The Mennonite Research Foundation, a semiautonomous organization, chartered by the Mennonite (MC) Board of Education with office at Goshen, Indiana, was founded in February 1947 to serve the research needs of the Mennonite Church (MC) by carrying on or aiding research and publication in such fields as Mennonite history, theology, sociology, education, evangelism, and current activities and problems. It was controlled by a board of seven directors appointed by the Executive Committee of the Mennonite Board of Education including representatives from the three major boards of the Mennonite Church (MC), education, publication, and missions, and its three colleges, Goshen, Eastern Mennonite, and Hesston. Officers from the beginning were Paul Erb, chairman, H. S. Bender, secretary, A. J. Metzler, treasurer. Melvin Gingerich was director of research from the beginning, with G. F. Hershberger serving as acting director 1955-1957. The budget was supplied by contributions from the boards and a group of private supporters known as Mennonite Research Associates, plus fees charged for services rendered. In 1959 the work of the foundation was merged with the Historical Committee of the Mennonite Church. The latter body was renamed the Historical and Research Committee.


Author(s) Harold S Bender
Date Published 1957


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Bender, Harold S. "Mennonite Research Foundation (Mennonite Church)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 23 Aug 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Research_Foundation_(Mennonite_Church)&oldid=89786.

APA style

Bender, Harold S. (1957). Mennonite Research Foundation (Mennonite Church). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 23 August 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mennonite_Research_Foundation_(Mennonite_Church)&oldid=89786.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 637. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.