Milford, Nebraska, is a town (1957 pop. 900; 2000 pop. 2,070) in the southeastern end of Seward County, which is in the southeastern part of the state. The three Mennonite (MC)) churches in the community in 1956, Milford, East Fairview, West Fairview, had a total of 796 members. Approximately 650 Mennonites lived within shopping distance of the town. The main settlement was west of town, but there were Mennonites living all around it. Approximately 18 per cent (75 families) of the Mennonites in 1956 lived in town; about one third of the businesses were owned and operated by Mennonites. Mennonites have lived in this area since 1873. Near the town was the Rest Home for the Aged, privately operated by a Mennonite family.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon., 4 v. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 134.
|Author(s)||L. O Schlegel|
Cite This Article
Schlegel, L. O. "Milford (Seward County, Nebraska, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 27 May 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Milford_(Seward_County,_Nebraska,_USA)&oldid=89960.
Schlegel, L. O. (1957). Milford (Seward County, Nebraska, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 May 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Milford_(Seward_County,_Nebraska,_USA)&oldid=89960.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.