The Missionary Messenger, the official organ of the Eastern Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities of the Lancaster Mennonite Conference (Mennonite Church USA), began as a 4-page quarterly in April 1924, became a 12-page 7-3/4 x 10-3/4 in. monthly in May 1925, a 16-page after December 1930 with an occasional 16-page supplement. Orie O. Millerwas the first editor; his successors (to 1057) with time of beginning were: J. P. Sauder, March 1932; Menno E. Miller, May 1935; Howard Charles, May 1941; Mahlon Hess, October 1941; Irvin B. Horst, July 1946; T. Lester Brubaker, February 1947; Paul N. Kraybill, Mav 1951. It touched all phases of missions, relief, and service, and some general church life. The 1957 subscription list of 4,900 reached the entire conference, serving especially well by "keeping all the issues before all of our people all the time."
The Missionary Messenger continued to publish in 2006.
|Author(s)||Ira D Landis|
Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D. "Missionary Messenger, The (Periodical)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 27 Apr 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Missionary_Messenger,_The_(Periodical)&oldid=58965.
Landis, Ira D. (1957). Missionary Messenger, The (Periodical). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 27 April 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Missionary_Messenger,_The_(Periodical)&oldid=58965.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.