Mohadi (Chhattisgarh, India)
Mohadi, India, in Chattisgarh is a village 28 miles (45 km, or 40 miles (65 km) by motorable road) east-northeast of Dhamtari and a station of the American Mennonite (MC) Mission. Four acres of land for mission premises were purchased by the Mission in 1920. The mission bungalow and Christian workers' and servants' quarters, were finished by 1922. R. R. Smucker and family became resident at Mohadi in 1923, and with Indian Christian workers carried on evangelistic work among the villages of the district. A small medical dispensary also was opened by the missionaries.
Mohadi was regarded as purely an evangelistic station with the missionaries free for village and home visitation work and touring. The district was large, including Bindra-Nawagarh Zamindari (a small Indian state) and a large area of villages extending west to the Dhamtari-Mohadi border and east for many miles to the border of the American Evangelical Mission territory. A church was organized with a membership of about 50 and an Indian deacon. The pastoral work was performed by the missionaries whether resident or nonresident. In 1954 the membership was 33.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 144.
|Author(s)||George J Lapp|
Cite This Article
Lapp, George J. "Mohadi (Chhattisgarh, India)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 20 Feb 2018. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mohadi_(Chhattisgarh,_India)&oldid=90078.
Lapp, George J. (1957). Mohadi (Chhattisgarh, India). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 20 February 2018, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mohadi_(Chhattisgarh,_India)&oldid=90078.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 723. All rights reserved.
©1996-2018 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.