Uruguay, 2006. World factbook map
Montevideo (1957 pop. ca. 750,000, 2004 pop. 1,326,064), the capital of Uruguay
, has had some Mennonite inhabitants ever since the first European Mennonite immigrants, largely refugees from the Danzig area with a few from the Lemberg
area of Poland
and a few from Russia
, arrived in October 1948. In 1956 there were approximately 200 of these immigrants living in the city. A congregation, the Montevideo Mennonite Church which met at Vilardebo 964, had been organized in the city; it had 220 members in 1956 and belonged to the Uruguay Mennonite Conference (Konferenz der Mennonitengemeinden
, affiliated with the General Conference Mennonite Church
in North America). There was also a Mennonite Brethren
congregation of 79 members, which met at Calle Pedro Berro 1114, called the El Ombu
congregation, since many of its members lived in the El Ombu colony. There was also an Mennonite Brethren Bible School in the city. The Mennonite Church (MC)
of North America established a mission in the city in 1954 with four workers. The Mennonite Central Committee
had a center in the city after 1948, and in the 1950s owned the house at Vilardebo 964. The Mennonite Biblical Seminary, a bilingual (Spanish and German) training school, operated by a board composed of representatives from all the Mennonite groups in South America who desire to co-operate and supported by the mission boards of the Mennonite Church and the General Conference Mennonite churches in North America
, was established in 1956. It also was located at Vilardebo 964.
|| Harold S Bender
| Date Published
Cite This Article
Bender, Harold S. "Montevideo (Uruguay)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 24 Jul 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Montevideo_(Uruguay)&oldid=92925.
Bender, Harold S. (1957). Montevideo (Uruguay). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 24 July 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Montevideo_(Uruguay)&oldid=92925.
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, from Mennonite Encyclopedia
, Vol. 3, pp. 745-746. All rights reserved.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.