From GAMEO
Jump to: navigation, search
[unchecked revision][checked revision]
(CSV import - 20130816)
 
m (Text replace - "Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. <em>Mennonitisches Lexikon</em>. Frankfurt" to "Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. <em>Mennonitisches Lexikon</em>, 4 vols. Frankfurt")
 
(2 intermediate revisions by one user not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
Morija Deaconess Home, located at [[Neu-Halbstadt (Molotschna Mennonite Settlement, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)|Neu-Halbstadt]], South Russia, was the first and only Mennonite [[Deaconess|deaconess]]home to be established in [[Russia|Russia]], opened on 3 December 1909. A 3-year course offered theoretical as well as practical instruction to Mennonite girls, who offered to dedicate their lives as Christian nurses in Mennonite charitable institutions. The deaconess home also served as a mother house, keeping and caring for the nurses in sickness and old age. The institution was organized as a private charitable organization, all Mennonite churches participating, the initiators being [[Wall, Franz (d. 1906)|Franz Wall]], head of the [[Muntau Hospital (Molotschna Mennonite Settlement, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)|Muntau Hospital]], [[Schmidt, Peter (1860-1910)|Peter Schmidt]], a rich landowner, and Dr. [[Tavonius, Erich A. (1872-1927)|Erich A. Tavonius]], the father of [[Pankratz, Erika Tavonius (1908-2006)|Dr. Erica Tavonius]] at [[Fernheim Colony (Boquerón Department, Paraguay)|Fernheim, Paraguay]]. The home accepted up to 40 nursing students every year. After the [[Russian Revolution and Civil War|Revolution]] first the religious aspect of the school was changed and in 1927 the last Mennonite head nurse was removed and the deaconess home turned into a medical institute under a Communist leader.
+
Morija Deaconess Home, located at [[Neu-Halbstadt (Molotschna Mennonite Settlement, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)|Neu-Halbstadt]], South Russia, was the first and only Mennonite [[Deaconess|deaconess ]]home to be established in [[Russia|Russia]], opened on 3 December 1909. A 3-year course offered theoretical as well as practical instruction to Mennonite girls, who offered to dedicate their lives as Christian nurses in Mennonite charitable institutions. The deaconess home also served as a mother house, keeping and caring for the nurses in sickness and old age. The institution was organized as a private charitable organization, all Mennonite churches participating, the initiators being [[Wall, Franz (d. 1906)|Franz Wall]], head of the [[Muntau Hospital (Molotschna Mennonite Settlement, Zaporizhia Oblast, Ukraine)|Muntau Hospital]], [[Schmidt, Peter (1860-1910)|Peter Schmidt]], a rich landowner, and Dr. [[Tavonius, Erich A. (1872-1927)|Erich A. Tavonius]], the father of [[Pankratz, Erika Tavonius (1908-2006)|Dr. Erica Tavonius]] at [[Fernheim Colony (Boquerón Department, Paraguay)|Fernheim, Paraguay]]. The home accepted up to 40 nursing students every year. After the [[Russian Revolution and Civil War|Revolution]] first the religious aspect of the school was changed and in 1927 the last Mennonite head nurse was removed and the deaconess home turned into a medical institute under a Communist leader.
 
+
 
+
 
= Bibliography =
 
= Bibliography =
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. <em>Mennonitisches Lexikon</em>. Frankfurt &amp; Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III: 167.
+
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. <em>Mennonitisches Lexikon</em>, 4 vols. Frankfurt &amp; Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III: 167.
  
 
<em>Mennonite Rundschau</em> (1929): No. 34.
 
<em>Mennonite Rundschau</em> (1929): No. 34.
 
 
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 3, p. 752|date=1957|a1_last=Koehn|a1_first=J. A|a2_last= |a2_first= }}
 
{{GAMEO_footer|hp=Vol. 3, p. 752|date=1957|a1_last=Koehn|a1_first=J. A|a2_last= |a2_first= }}

Latest revision as of 22:11, 19 January 2014

Morija Deaconess Home, located at Neu-Halbstadt, South Russia, was the first and only Mennonite deaconess home to be established in Russia, opened on 3 December 1909. A 3-year course offered theoretical as well as practical instruction to Mennonite girls, who offered to dedicate their lives as Christian nurses in Mennonite charitable institutions. The deaconess home also served as a mother house, keeping and caring for the nurses in sickness and old age. The institution was organized as a private charitable organization, all Mennonite churches participating, the initiators being Franz Wall, head of the Muntau Hospital, Peter Schmidt, a rich landowner, and Dr. Erich A. Tavonius, the father of Dr. Erica Tavonius at Fernheim, Paraguay. The home accepted up to 40 nursing students every year. After the Revolution first the religious aspect of the school was changed and in 1927 the last Mennonite head nurse was removed and the deaconess home turned into a medical institute under a Communist leader.

[edit] Bibliography

Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe: Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III: 167.

Mennonite Rundschau (1929): No. 34.


Author(s) J. A Koehn
Date Published 1957


[edit] Cite This Article

MLA style

Koehn, J. A. "Morija Deaconess Home (Neu-Halbstadt, Molotschna Settlement, Ukraine)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 18 Apr 2014. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Morija_Deaconess_Home_(Neu-Halbstadt,_Molotschna_Settlement,_Ukraine)&oldid=105979.

APA style

Koehn, J. A. (1957). Morija Deaconess Home (Neu-Halbstadt, Molotschna Settlement, Ukraine). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 18 April 2014, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Morija_Deaconess_Home_(Neu-Halbstadt,_Molotschna_Settlement,_Ukraine)&oldid=105979.




Hpbuttns.gif
Adapted by permission of Herald Press, Harrisonburg, Virginia, and Waterloo, Ontario, from Mennonite Encyclopedia, Vol. 3, p. 752. All rights reserved. For information on ordering the encyclopedia visit the Herald Press website.


©1996-2014 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.