Morton, Illinois, a town (1957 pop. 2,241, 2000 pop. 15,198) in Tazewell County, ten miles southeast of Peoria. Mennonite pioneers came to the county in 1830. In 1941 the Pleasant Grove and Goodfield congregations (Mennonite Church) united and erected a church building in Morton, where approximately half of the 193 members resided in 1957.
In 1957 rural members lived within a six-mile (10 km) radius mainly south and west. Evangelical Mennonites, earlier known as Defenseless Mennonites, were located five miles (8 km) southwest, and the Pleasant Hill (MC) congregation five miles (8 km) west. There were approximately 500 Mennonites within a six-mile (10 km) radius. The Apostolic Christian Church had one of its larger congregations in Morton. The town was noted for its small industries, which included two potteries, two manufacturers of grain elevators, a fence factory, and a washing-machine factory. Mennonites were employed locally and in large industries in Peoria. A number of Mennonites operated their own businesses.
 Cite This Article
Bachmann, Leland. "Morton (Illinois, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 25 Jul 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Morton_(Illinois,_USA)&oldid=90174.
Bachmann, Leland. (1957). Morton (Illinois, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 25 July 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Morton_(Illinois,_USA)&oldid=90174.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.