Mummasburg Mennonite Church, located five miles (8 km) northwest of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, was established in 1800. The settlement of Mummasburg was laid out as a town in 1820, and the Mennonite meetinghouse built by 1823 from community funds. The first preachers were Bishop Abraham Roth, David Reiff, and George Throne, followed by Christian and Daniel Shank with Martin Whisler. Earlier they worshiped in a building where Flohr's Schoolhouse between New Salem and Cashtown stood in the 1950s. There a cemetery holds some of the early settlers.
In spite of a schism in 1927, when the Fairfield General Conference Mennonite Church was formed, and another in the 1940s, when the Bethel Mennonite Church, then in the Ohio and Eastern Conference (MC), was formed, the congregation in 1956 numbered 54 members. Amos W. Myer and Roy M. Geigley were the ministers assisting Bishop Richard Danner.
In 2014 the church was an independent Mennonite congregation with 13 members. The ministerial team included Bishop Ray Byers of the Beachy Amish and Deacon Robert H. Brougher.
Mennonite Church Directory 2014. Harrisonburg, VA: Christian Light Publications, Inc., 2014: 134.
 Additional Information
Address: 2545 Mummasburg Road, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
Lancaster Mennonite Conference (Until 1975)
Mennonite Church (MC) (Until 1975)
|Author(s)||Ira D Landis|
 Cite This Article
Landis, Ira D. "Mummasburg Mennonite Church (Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 5 Aug 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mummasburg_Mennonite_Church_(Gettysburg,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=131729.
Landis, Ira D. (1957). Mummasburg Mennonite Church (Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 5 August 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Mummasburg_Mennonite_Church_(Gettysburg,_Pennsylvania,_USA)&oldid=131729.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.