Nairn Mennonite Church (Ailsa Craig, Ontario, Canada)
The Nairn Mennonite congregation near Ailsa Craig, Ontario, began services in 1948. The church's first building was constructed in 1881 as part of the Presbyterian Church. A new building was erected in 1996. Wilfred Schlegel is regarded as the founder of the congregation. Culturally the congregation's roots are Amish Mennonite. The settlement was the result of colonization by Amish Mennonites from Wilmot and Wellesley Townships in Waterloo County, and East Zorra Township in Oxford County. The language of worship services has always been English.
"40-Nairn," Mennonites in Canada collection, Mennonite Archives of Ontario.
Arnel, Ruth. A Time of Change: Commemorating the 25th Anniversary of the Nairn Mennonite Church. Nairn, Ont.: Nairn Mennonite Church, 1973, 48 pp.
Gospel Herald (13 April 1948): 355; (7 September 1948): 845; (22 March 1949): 283; (21 February 1950): 184; (24 July 1956): 705.
Mennonite Reporter (10 July 1989): 9; (30 May 1994): 15; (17 October 1994): 15; (4 March 1996): 14; (3 February 1997): 17.
Church archival records at Mennonite Archives of Ontario.
Address: R.R. 1, Box 9, 26459 Bear Creek Side Rd., Ailsa Craig, ON N0M 1A0
Location: 4 km south of the town of Ailsa Craig
Western Ontario Mennonite Conference (1948-1988)
Mennonite Church (1959-1999)
Mennonite Church Eastern Canada (1988-present)
Nairn Mennonite Church Membership
|Date Published||December 2013|
Cite This Article
Schlegel, Wilfred and Sam Steiner. "Nairn Mennonite Church (Ailsa Craig, Ontario, Canada)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. December 2013. Web. 26 Sep 2017. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Nairn_Mennonite_Church_(Ailsa_Craig,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=105106.
Schlegel, Wilfred and Sam Steiner. (December 2013). Nairn Mennonite Church (Ailsa Craig, Ontario, Canada). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 26 September 2017, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Nairn_Mennonite_Church_(Ailsa_Craig,_Ontario,_Canada)&oldid=105106.
©1996-2017 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.