Nappanee, Indiana (pop. 3,800 in 1955; about 6,700 in 2000) is located in the southwestern part of Elkhart County in a fertile section of farming land. It has been a collection center for the Brethren Service Relief and the location of Evangel Press, the Brethren in Christ publishing house. Of the 13 churches within the city in the 1950s, three were Mennonite, namely, North Main St. (Mennonite Church), First Mennonite (General Conference Mennonite), and United Missionary. The first Mennonites to settle in Locke and Union townships in which Nappanee is located came about 1857-1860. There were also two churches of the Conservative Mennonites and nine districts of Old Order Amish in the territory surrounding Nappanee.
|Author(s)||Homer F North|
Cite This Article
North, Homer F. "Nappanee (Indiana, USA)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 30 Jun 2016. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Nappanee_(Indiana,_USA)&oldid=76093.
North, Homer F. (1957). Nappanee (Indiana, USA). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 30 June 2016, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Nappanee_(Indiana,_USA)&oldid=76093.
©1996-2016 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.