Neu-Chortitza (Novo-Chortitza), one of the major villages of the Baratov Mennonite settlement in the province of Ekaterinoslav (now Dnipropetrovsk Oblast), Ukraine, established in 1872. Neu-Chortitza and Gnadenthal comprised 10,000 acres of land and had a population of 550 in 1914. In 1874 the villages Grünfeld, Steinfeld, and Hochfeld were added, which formed the Schlachtin Mennonite settlement. The church serving these settlements was the Neu-Chortitza Mennonite Church.
During the Revolution and under Stalin's regime the settlements suffered very severely. Many of the inhabitants were sent into exile. During the German occupation (1941-1943) the former life was somewhat revived. Some 600 inhabitants of the Neu-Chortitza village left for Germany in October 1943, of whom approximately 550 were forcibly returned to Russia after the collapse of Germany. Thus relatively only a few of the settlers reached Canada and South America.
Hege, Christian and Christian Neff. Mennonitisches Lexikon, 4 vols. Frankfurt & Weierhof: Hege; Karlsruhe; Schneider, 1913-1967: v. III, 207, 278.
Neuer Haus- und Landtvirtschaftskalender. Odessa, 1913: 50, 75.
Cite This Article
Krahn, Cornelius. "Neu-Chortitza (Baratov Settlement, Dnipropetrovsk Oblast, Ukraine)." Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. 1957. Web. 1 Dec 2015. http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Neu-Chortitza_(Baratov_Settlement,_Dnipropetrovsk_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=76151.
Krahn, Cornelius. (1957). Neu-Chortitza (Baratov Settlement, Dnipropetrovsk Oblast, Ukraine). Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. Retrieved 1 December 2015, from http://gameo.org/index.php?title=Neu-Chortitza_(Baratov_Settlement,_Dnipropetrovsk_Oblast,_Ukraine)&oldid=76151.
Herald Press website.
©1996-2015 by the Global Anabaptist Mennonite Encyclopedia Online. All rights reserved.